Curved Kitchen Wall with Opening for Bar

Chief_Id

Seeking advice on how to best draw this...

First Attempt:

I used a doorway and pass-thru window to create an opening in a joined straight and curved 16” thick wall. The doorway is in the straight wall and the pass-thru window is in the curved wall. On the curved wall I defined the lower portion as a pony wall and made it 6” thick while retaining the 16” wall on top. The lower wall will support an elevated countertop (attached pictures shows an example) in addition to being the back wall for kitchen cabinets. This didn't work as I couldn't get a clean connection between the doorway and pass-thru window and it caused issues with the floor molding. The attached plan shows the results.

The Chief Architect website uses a similar example to create a wall with a doorway and half wall opening. https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03105/creating-a-pass-through-doorway.html but it doesn't take into account walls of different thickness.

Second Attempt:

I used a polyline solid to create the curved upper half of the wall and used a half wall for the curved lower portion. Despite multiple attempts I could not keep the half wall from extending past my designated end points. It kept connecting to the side wall even though it is three feet away from my endpoint.

Third Attempt:

I created a polyline solid for the upper curved wall and the lower curved wall (illustrated in attached plan). This seems to work but since the lower curved polyline solid isn't a wall the auto-generated kitchen cabinet countertops do not create correctly. I guess I need to create a custom countertop for the cabinets in the same manner as I will need to for the bar top? Also, how to I get the polyline solid draw properly in the framing layer?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated. I’m using Chief Architect X12.

Dale

Curved Kitchen Wall.plan

Kitchen 4.JPG

Eric,

Attached picture is a printout from the attached plan file. On the left is the 16 inch curved wall on top with 8 inch pony wall on bottom. On the right is the two polyline solids making up the upper and lower curved walls.

Dale

Wall Example.jpg

Thank you. I'll see if I can get everything to line up and work correctly.

The first picture in this thread was simply an example of how the curved bar area is free standing, has an upper and lower countertop, and doesn't connect to the walls at each end.

On 10/22/2020 at 6:29 AM, Chief_Id said:

Hi,

I am very glad to share my ideas with you.

Lets try to design this using SketchUp after doing it we can import it to chief architect. 

I think you can manage it.

Thank you.. 

• Downvote 2

Eric,

The updated video is a big help and I learned multiple techniques watching it. I see no reason why this technique won't work for what I'm trying to do. Next step is to implement it into my plan.

sphome - thanks for the offer. The solution Eric provided is what I was looking for.

Dale