anyone use dark screen with white lines?

Lighthouse

Of course, take a close look at "Edit - Preferences - Appearance" and other Default Settings as well but thereafter it may be difficult to share your plans with other users who do not do that.

Another consideration is that "White Lines" will NOT print to paper or PDF, so your prints and PDF's by default will use a lot of Black ink to print. Basically you are intending to go into "Undiscovered Country" indeed.

I know AutoCAD is set up with a black background but I am not aware of any Chief users who do so.

DJP

You would need to set up different layer sets and/or saved plan views. Some for viewing on screen with layer colors that can be viewed against a dark background, and some for printing with these same layers set to black (or whatever color you want printed). 

As far as I know, having a black background does not affect sharing files with other users.

Screen color is not saved with the file - it is a preference - each user will see their own background color.

I don't think it has anything to do with printing either.

Turn on Print Preview and I think you should see a white background even though you have a black background while drawing.

Same for layout.

A white line will not display on a black background, and I am pretty sure it will not print.

A black line will display as white on a black background, but I am pretty sure it will print as black. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, ericepv said:

I've changed my colors to the 'Stone' theme which gives me a medium grey background for the toolbars and I also use a light grey background for drawing background. It is easier on the eye's.

Hmmm, I changed it in "edit preferences, appearance" which worked for plan view, but not camera views.  I tried 3d preferences but don't see an option there.  Is there a way to change screen color for all types of views?  Also, you mentioned a stone "theme".  I don't see themes, just colors.  I'm in x10, maybe themes are a later version?

22 hours ago, LevisL said:

You would need to set up different layer sets and/or saved plan views.

I didn't. If your layers are set up to be "default" simply change the background color and the default black lines turn white automatically. It's the line that you have set to black per line that will not be visible. I only use black backgrounds.

image.thumb.png.d86f7de50a0f25bdc2c18800ad47dcc5.png

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Windows 10, go to Color Filters,  select "On" at Turn on color filters, Check Allow the short key to toggle filter on or off, next select "Grayscale inverted". Now unselect "Turn on color filters". You will now be able to draw with black screen and all text and dimensions white. This will require NO preferences changes in chief drawings. Use key combination "Windows logo key + Ctrl + C" to toggle between standard white back ground or black background with white text/dimensions. Also when using black screen, all items add will remain the same as if you are using standard white screen.

• 1 year later...
On 10/7/2021 at 11:32 PM, SunsetDrafting said:

Windows 10, go to Color Filters,  select "On" at Turn on color filters, Check Allow the short key to toggle filter on or off, next select "Grayscale inverted". Now unselect "Turn on color filters". You will now be able to draw with black screen and all text and dimensions white. This will require NO preferences changes in chief drawings. Use key combination "Windows logo key + Ctrl + C" to toggle between standard white back ground or black background with white text/dimensions. Also when using black screen, all items add will remain the same as if you are using standard white screen.

An alternative 3rd party tool is NegativeScreen. I like this because it has custom filters which can invert blacks and whites, and preserves colors (somewhat). See the screenshot below.

Does anyone else want a dark theme? I posted it as a suggestion because I'm really hoping for one - if you want this feature too, please add your comment to the thread linked below so it can get noticed by the developers.

2022-11-29 09-45-30.png

• 1 year later...

All, I have started inverting my screen color from my computer and not messing with my settings on chief. this keeps me producing without any double work and if I want to pop over to internet and look something up I have a keyboard shortcut to turn it off and then easily turn it back on. second picture is someones cad plan they are having me edit- the last is how the chief default layer colors appear.

image.thumb.png.e50ef2fbc5bfb13614e1b62e06ae8901.pngimage.thumb.png.c9b7abac4ab00338c5a42e163102899c.pngimage.thumb.png.6326698dea8718c0d9d6ca53f4704dc1.png