Smoothing out terrain for sloping roads & sidewalks

Seafield

Good day Folks.

I was able to bring contour lines into CA and have created an accurate terrain for a new project I am working on.

I would welcome any ideas as to how I can smooth out the terrain under existing roads and sidewalks (sloping)---and from there,

how I can create (with cut and fill) smoothly new sloping parking lots and sidewalks, etc.

With my thanks.

David Sorensen

I have X6 on the Mac.

Scott......Good luck if DSorensen post the plan. I'll be watching. Projects that have a lot of terrain (contour lines) drive me nuts. I reach past the wine and look for the Southern Comfort at the end of the day! Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to what happens with terrain in CA. It is something they really need to work on, but probably not in my lifetime and I'm Hoping to be around for awhile. Have a great weekend.

Larry, if DSorenson does not post his plan, that is good for me, instead of spending an hour on something I don't get paid for, I will work on something that pays me.

And you are correct, the terrains are still a bit inconsistent for my taste, but I can usually get them to work for me.

Scott.....I usually make the terrain work for me, but I always end up spending way to much time trying to get it close. Semi-close (sometimes it's semi-far away) is always where I end up. My achilles heel is that I'm a perfectionist-----yes, I know, get over it---right? That's what my wife tells me--bless her heart. :)

Hello.

Your kind offer is appreciated Mr. Hall.

The file is attached along with a PDF showing the proposed concept layout in 2D.

I was quite careful (I hope) in cleaning up the layers in the original file prior to bringing the dwg into CA.

You will see the contour lines at their proper heights plus all the other lines of the survey showing the roads, sidewalks and buildings I need to put in.

I am wanting to learn how to place a road on this file and make sure it runs smoothly across the terrian. This will also apply to sloping parking lots, etc.

With my thanks.

David Sorensen

Here is a link to the DSORENSON VID,  not great stuff,  so take your chances.

http://youtu.be/WiSXn8B-umU

.....not a great vid,  bottom line dsorenson,  try minimizing your "ACTIVE" contour lines.  I believe too many contour lines will slow chief down and give you some of the jiggedy jaggegies.  Use enough contour lines to define the terrain.

Scott. I totally agree with Perry. This video is especially good to watch for people new to CA and working with terrain. TMI is very important using terrain data in CA. Another is continuing contours for a distance past the terrain perimeter. My biggest problem any more is getting my road to look even along the edges while still having a slope. I keep working on it. Sometimes, as you mention, it can be just a little change in placins a contour line that will do the trick. It's learning what "trick" is the kicker. I hope CA will work on "fine tuning" their terrain building. A little bit "behind the scene" on each version would be nice.

Hello Mr. Hall.

I really appreciate you doing the video to help me understand, let alone resolve the fundamental problem I was facing with this terrain. I have to watch it a (quite) a few more times to see what I am doing wrong and how then to get rid of enough 'jaggies' in the terrain to smooth out existing roads and sidewalks, let alone any new hardscpe I have to put in.

And as stated by Drawzilla and Mr. Sweeney, it is a great video. Many thanks.

David Sorensen

PS. An accurate observation: yes, it took me forever to give a height to each contour......:)