Materials taking on area characteristics

stevenyhof

Steve,

I think the default room wall material may be causing that.

Open the room dbx and check what material is assigned to Walls.

To get things back too normal, open the room dbx>Materials>Walls>Select Material>there is checkbox down the bottom>Use Default Material. Check it. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, glennw said:

Steve,

I think the default room wall material may be causing that.

Open the room dbx and check what material is assigned to Walls.

To get things back too normal, open the room dbx>Materials>Walls>Select Material>there is checkbox down the bottom>Use Default Material. Check it. 

I will check that. Like I say, it was working for many plans and now this just started. But that does not mean I changed something because I am always fine tuning my template.

40 minutes ago, jmsisco said:

Steve,

I may be wrong but I do not believe the walls in your library are the default walls. 

You are correct. I just have them set up using the same materials as my defaults so everything looks congruent. 

46 minutes ago, BrownTiger said:

Yes, draw your walls using interior wall or straight foundation wall tool and change your wall type to your library wall type.

Not the other way around. I think software does not always recompute correctly.

I do have some of my interior walls in my library in the Foundation folder, but they are interior walls - not Foundation. And even those walls change if placed in the space - not even against another wall. So it must be something to do with what Glenn is suggesting. I will try some tests on different levels and see what happens.

I think I found it. I went to my Foundation default and found the Interior Wall Surface was set to Concrete but was not set as Default. Once I checked the Default option my walls work as they should with drywall. When I went through everything on my template, I must have missed this default. Thank you, Glenn!

2.jpg

That was most of it. But I still have the issue of once I move the wall against another wall it takes on the materials of the wall I place it against. I have run into that before. If I move it 1" away, it goes back to drywall. I have drawn like 15 plans already without an issue of this - so makes me think I changed something.

I have a fur wall that I put against my concrete wall. It is set to Furred Wall. I've not had this issue with any walls in my basements - so this is new. I will keep pocking around.

Steve,

I have had and used this program since release 4.0 and have never used the Library to select my wall type when drawing a plan.

I always have used the wall tool and it's walls specification dbx to select and define the wall type. I think using the library is messing you up.

25 minutes ago, jmsisco said:

Steve,

I have had and used this program since release 4.0 and have never used the Library to select my wall type when drawing a plan.

I always have used the wall tool and it's walls specification dbx to select and define the wall type. I think using the library is messing you up.

I have had others tell me this, and if it were something that just was always messing up, I would agree. However, Chief offers this function and it works very well and is fast... when it works. Once again, it has worked well for the past several months as I have learned and fine tuned the system. I can go back and work with other plans that everything is working as expected, so I think I changed something in my template as the last 2 jobs I ran into this. I'm going to send my template to support and see if they can find out what I changed so I know. I have a number of pony walls that are all set with daylight walls, upper stud walls and lower furring walls with a wood cap and all I do is drag it over my existing wall and I'm done - heights and all. I like that Chief offers this. I can see where some may not need it, but I do some wild things with daylight and walkout walls and from the time I set things up it has worked perfectly. I'm not ready to give up on something that was working well just because I made some setting change. I will go back to my older plans and look through each of the settings and find out what is different and try that. Thank you

Yes the wall types are in the library now in X12 but you can just as easily choose your wall type and make copies, changes, define new types in the Wall tool DBX with out issues !  All your wall types should and could be in that location!  I do not think one way is any better than the other.

20 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

I have a number of pony walls that are all set with daylight walls, upper stud walls and lower furring walls with a wood cap and all I do is drag it over my existing wall and I'm done - heights and all.

You can select the wall you want to change, open the dbx and select the pony wall type you want and that will also make the change!

8 hours ago, jmsisco said:

You can select the wall you want to change, open the dbx and select the pony wall type you want and that will also make the change!

But I have also found that when doing this, that I need to add my heights, which I don't remember. Right now I click the wall I want in the Library and draw - done. I'm going to try what Eric mentioned and go back to a drawing where things worked and save as a template. Thank you

Well, the adventure continues... I opened my normal template and drew a simple house and basement and everything works perfectly. So now I need to find what I am doing in the process of adding a basement on a drawing. Typically click the button to add a basement using my template defaults... hmmm

I deleted the basement of the plan that was bad and remade it. Now it works. So I'm chalking this one up to a software hiccup. Now my furred walls work and my daylight walls all work like normal. As I move forward, I will create my basement and add a fur wall first thing to verify that all went well. If not, rebuild it.

3.jpg

5 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

But I have also found that when doing this, that I need to add my heights, which I don't remember. Right now I click the wall I want in the Library and draw - done.

I'm not sure how you're doing this because the only way I know how to set the wall height requires a room to be drawn and I believe the room height is pulled from the Default Settings for Floors and Rooms, Floor levels tab.

You can also change wall height in the Room DBX Structure tab.

You can draw a room with any one wall type and change the walls to 4 different types and the height of your walls will not change

22 minutes ago, jmsisco said:

You can also change wall height in the Room DBX Structure tab.

Yes, you can save the height of the pony wall in the dbx from the Library item. You open the wall type from the library and set the height of the pony wall. Then it is in place for when you use it. Same goes for some of my windows that I use in the lower lever on the daylight wall - I set the header height on the saved window in the Library.

19 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Just post the problematic plan and I bet you would have an accurate answer in minutes.  I can tell you with near certainty that it's exactly what Glenn said though way back in the 3rd post.

Yes, I believe that may have been the issue, but when I rebuilt the foundation everything worked. 

26 minutes ago, jmsisco said:

You can draw a room with any one wall type and change the walls to 4 different types and the height of your walls will not change

You are correct. The height of the wall top plate is managed by the room height.

If understand correctly what you are doing is setting up your "pony wall wall assemblies" in your library to have a specific height for the lower section (bottom) of the pony wall?

When you change ceiling height the top part of the pony wall assembly adjusts to the changed ceiling height.  Once that lower wall height is set it does not change. 

2 minutes ago, jmsisco said:

If understand correctly what you are doing is setting up your "pony wall wall assemblies" in your library to have a specific height for the lower section (bottom) of the pony wall?

When you change ceiling height the top part of the pony wall assembly adjusts to the changed ceiling height.  Once that lower wall height is set it does not change. 

Yes, I have put the pony wall "assemblies" in both 8' and 9' basements and the pony wall is set to 40.5" which is exactly 42" off the footing. So far I have not had to go in the dbx and change that, other than when I want a 60" wall or something to work with the grade which is changed in the wall on the plan. I also use a similar pony wall without the fur wall on the inside for the areas I make walkout walls with the frost footing, which is 42" below final grade. The images below shows daylight to walkout walls.

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg