How can rope lights be switched?

GeneDavis

15 minutes ago, steve_stuart said:

I assume it is because the rope light isn't really an electrical object?

Since it IS an electric object then it should be reported as a bug. Whenever, for whatever reason the wiring tool does not work, I use a CAD line or Arc and then place it on the "Electrical Connections" layer and be done with it.

DJP

I space lights how and levels to what I like, then convert to symbol, electric light. Can get a way with altering the size of the symbols a bit before the lights don't look right. Once converted to an electric symbol light connections work.

But the rope lights are on the electrical level, have light data, thus can be turned on and off and the lights brightened, dimmed, and colored.

What makes them unique amongst electrical thingies is the ability to shorten or lengthen them, and the number of bulbs thus decreases or increases.  Click on one to see about making it a symbol and you see that it is in the cabinet doors and drawers family.

I'll bet once you make one a symbol and then place it, having made it a "light," you can connect it to a switch.  But, and here is the big loss, you no longer can lengthen it or shorten it and have the bulb count go up or down accordingly.

So we may be stuck with drawing arcs and making them dashed lines.

I don't like how they the rope lights work in PBR to begin with. I change the spacing, type and output to my satisfaction. Once converted I put a few in the library (on old computer right now) I've found that just having a few sizes works for me and they can be adjusted within reason (6 inches or so, bit more if shortening)

It may matter to that I don't ever use just tape, instead exclusively Hafele Loox 12 volt already in channels. Customers love it, holds up better than tape and keeps installers happy AND I can connect to it-YMMV.

Forgot that it also goes into the schedule the way I want-as Hafele Loox 2029 or 2037 with part numbers.

3 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

But the rope lights are on the electrical level, have light data, thus can be turned on and off and the lights brightened, dimmed, and colored.

What makes them unique amongst electrical thingies is the ability to shorten or lengthen them, and the number of bulbs thus decreases or increases.  Click on one to see about making it a symbol and you see that it is in the cabinet doors and drawers family.

I'll bet once you make one a symbol and then place it, having made it a "light," you can connect it to a switch.  But, and here is the big loss, you no longer can lengthen it or shorten it and have the bulb count go up or down accordingly.

So we may be stuck with drawing arcs and making them dashed lines.

You can move an existing elec. connection line and it will 'connect' to darn near anything.