Pour Garage Slab Through Doorways

greglocke

Something like the one on the left is what you want and the one on the right is the one you have ?

image.thumb.png.956fec0bd146668bb6bf2a7ca8a3f683.png

I don't think there is a setting for that.  I did it all manually by breaking the wall top and then filling the space.

Welcome to CheifTalk.   I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong by on of the garage guru's.

4 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Something like the one on the left is what you want and the one on the right is the one you have ?

image.thumb.png.956fec0bd146668bb6bf2a7ca8a3f683.png

I don't think there is a setting for that.  I did it all manually by breaking the wall top and then filling the space.

Welcome to CheifTalk.   I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong by on of the garage guru's.

I also always did that manually, maybe some of the in-house gurus know a better way.

6 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

I don't think there is a setting for that.

8 hours ago, greglocke said:

I'm trying to show my garage floor slab poured through my doorways.

It will do this automatically if the concrete slab is the floor finish, not the floor structure. Use gravel for the floor structure.

• Upvote 4

Honestly, I have looked at regular exterior doorways in camera views for years and noticed the finished floor always showing, but never thought of changing the garage floor to having a finished concrete floor like Robert suggests! Another day and I have learned something! Being an old dog, that's something to celebrate. :)

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 7:36 AM, robdyck said:

It will do this automatically if the concrete slab is the floor finish, not the floor structure. Use gravel for the floor structure.

21 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

...but never thought of changing the garage floor to having a finished concrete floor like Robert suggests! Another day and I have learned something!

Very clever Robert! I’ve complained to Chief about this and I hope they give us the option to run the floor structure over the door opening at some point in the near future, but until then, at least now I have a workable solution. Well played!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LevisL said:

I hope they give us the option to run the floor structure over the door opening at some point in the near future

They already have part of it in place but need to do just a little more to make it useful. ;)

Wow!  This forum is awesome!  I'm new a user with lots of engineering background, but always just watched my drafting staff make it look so easy on AutoCAD.  Anyway, great response and great ideas.  Thanks robdyke, your method making gravel the floor at -4" below the finish floor and adding a 4" thick concrete floor finish works perfect. I'll definitely be back for more help! 

Thanks you!

• Like 1

Just now, Ridge_Runner said:

I probably read this 4-years ago, but my tired brain now remembers things from 40-years ago easier than 4! :wacko:

I can't remember back quite that far but I hear you! This garage floor thing just became a habit for me after that. It kinda bugged me not seeing the slab on an elevation view. I've got problems with wanting things as close to perfect as possible!

• 5 months later...
On 10/13/2020 at 9:36 AM, robdyck said:

@robdyck I'm probably missing something obvious, but I can't get the floor finish to be editable for my garage. It is greyed out. Any thoughts?

Annotation 2021-03-21 124026.jpg

23 hours ago, alexpwalsh said:

I can't get the floor finish to be editable for my garage. It is greyed out. Any thoughts?

I would assume the dbx you showed was from the foundation floor level. The 'floor finish' will be editable from the floor above.

• Upvote 1

Yup, can't edit floor finish from floor 0. And can't edit structure from floor 1. Lots of minutae to learn with this software but man is it awesome what you can do with it once you've gotten over the learning curve.

Wow, this trick is awesome. I was beginning to think I would have to do this manually, thanks a ton!