Window Net Size & Rough Opening

C-HisBuilders

I am using Chief Architect x10 in an office where we do both the designing and the building.

We are trying to determine if there is a way to have the window schedule show the actual size of the window glass. On the model we draw the window to the rough opening size because that is what we want to see on the floor plan. I see that you can have the window add dimensions to each side as a R/O, but since that is not what shows on the floor plan, that is not helpful to us. Is there a way to calculate the smaller opening of the glass or a way to have the floor plan show the window with the additional dimension of the R/O? 

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

This can be done with a macro(s) and custom field(s).  Typically I would put that information in the Window Schedule.

I keep trying to think of how to explain this so it is not confusing! But yes, it is going in the window schedule. It is for the actual construction of the building and purchasing of the windows.

Great idea to look into the macros. I thought of using a custom field but am not sure I want to manually enter information on so many windows that may have to be changed, it's nice to have the program features that change based on the width/height entered. 

20 hours ago, C-HisBuilders said:

Great idea to look into the macros. I thought of using a custom field but am not sure I want to manually enter information on so many windows that may have to be changed, it's nice to have the program features that change based on the width/height entered. 

If the macros are written correctly and the custom fields are created then it's a simple matter to select all the windows and add the macro to that field in the Object information.  If any window is modified, the data reported by the macros would automatically be updated with the appropriate values.

3 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

If the macros are written correctly and the custom fields are created then it's a simple matter to select all the windows and add the macro to that field in the Object information.  If any window is modified, the data reported by the macros would automatically be updated with the appropriate values.

Thanks all for trying to help. I am going to watch a few videos on creating macros because that seems to be the solution to my issue. I want the system to calculate a measurement for me and not have to type it and adjust it every time. I appreciate all you trying to figure out how to help me!

10 minutes ago, C-HisBuilders said:

I want to enter the R/O as the size of the window and have the system calculate the net size of the window (the glass size). 

I'm assuming you really mean net unit size and not glass size.

If I'm understanding correctly, in order to get an accurate model and use the built in features, you may be better off entering the net size and using the rough opening settings appropriately.  Then you can simply use the Height, Width, and R/O columns in the schedule.  No need for any custom macros at all that way. 

• Upvote 1

Why not refer to the window schedule, which can be formatted to show both unit size WxH and R.O. size WxH.  You can draw your plans to dimension to R.O.

Where I am, the suppliers send a guy to your jobsite when you have built most or preferably all your R.O.s, and he carefully checks them against his quote and your window schedule he quoted from.  Only then does the release to to the factory to build the windows.

• Upvote 1

In as-built I need to replace existing window with a smaller height new one.

Window supplier asks me the following:

Is it new construction or remodel?

Need to determine if we use nominal versus actual size for the window.

Window remodel contractor wants a completely framed RO w/Header and also a finished opening/sheathing exterior over that framing to be able to measure for exact fit w/1/8" variance.

*I note that Genes advice will apply in any case.

My thinking for my as-built:

Assumption #1- is that "net unit size" stated by Michael means same as the CA Reference Manual X12- Window Specification Dialog-

GENERAL-

Size and Position:

Width:

Height: 

ex. "These values include the window frame."

Assumption #2- So if you know size the window is manufactured to (window & frame) then correct RO and header will be automatically generated by CA.

For as-built I measure 35" x 59" inside window dimensions.

So, I may want to show window as an actual "standard size"  36" x 60" in Window Spec/General.

Unless I can find out actual size.

Define "glass size."

Every window manufacturer has charts for the glazing area of their windows, but a double hung with unit size W x H from Andersen can have a different glazing area from Marvin for the same double hung type of same size W x H.

I think you are using glass to say what most would call unit.

You should get the glazing area from the window manufacturer.  Glass area is dependent on how they build their windows.  I would not scale this number off a Chief window unless you model the window and sash exactly as the manufacturer builds it.  Too much liability; get the number from the manufacturer.