How to display the layers in an assembly

Doug_N

How to do a peel back the layers assembly.

The attached plan file has all the layers of a siding 6 wall saved as separate wall types.

This isn't very useful for construction drawings, but for illustrative purposes it is pretty amazing.

Some of the wall types have to be set to furred walls in order to prevent them from replacing each other.

1804069191_PeeledBackAssembly.thumb.jpg.9e8f980c8c1cd51c1a38e0b557b526a6.jpg

Assembly Layers.plan

30 minutes ago, Barnyardo said:

Is there a way to do this with the roof layers?

No roofs are a lot different than walls.  You would need to turn the framing on and the roof plane off.

Are you doing an assembly mockup or just want to see the framing while designing ?

Hi Chopsaw

I am trying to get everything close enough so that I minimize the cad work when I get going with the real plans. So far I've had to build the blocking because i chose to use exposed rafters and then originally I was going to use sip panels above that. After pricing and availability, decided that I'd go with the same exposed rafter layer with plywood on top , then 2x6 sleepers with spray in closed cell foam on top of that, then finish off with the roof surface layers of sheathing, membrane and standing seam. So essentially I built a second roof on top for the sleepers but realized they would have to be built manually. the 4x10 on 4 ft centers default won't let me build the top part of 2x6 at 2 ft on center. Ie, If I retain or lock the bottom roof, I am unable to edit the second roof. I'm thinking there must be a way to edit multiple roof style in the same plan?

I thought this may have been stopping me from peeling the surface layer off to see the 2x6 layer framing. But there is no 2x6 framing being generated and the materials definition won't let me choose 2x6 rafters on 2' centers. Only studs  you can see in the pics the space where the sleepers should / could be (circled in red).

The reason I built it this way is because the rafters would be built this way in the real world. Ie on top of the wall. If I had gone the other route, I would have had to manually draw the 4x10 rafters and the wall framing would have had to be drawn also. so a lot more work. It's becoming more evident that I will just have to finish the CAD details manually for the 2x6 sleepers. Piece of cake. But when I read this thread, I thought hmmm, maybe peeling back the layer was a  possibility. 

Sorry for the long winded reply.

Bernard

surface layer.png

sleeper layer.png

exposed rafter layer.png

You can manually frame two layers within the same roof plane with the correct procedure but would need to review it as I think there have been some recent changes in the software.  I would be a little concerned structurally about the 2x6 sleeper over the open span of plywood trying to carry a load it would not be capable of carrying. 

It should be possible to manually frame a second roof plane but I don't have much experience with that and overlapping roof planes can cause unexpected issues.

You could use a Roof Baseline Polyline for your first roof, copy it and raise it up for the second roof.

Move it off to the side while you work on it and then move it back over the original roof

This would allow you to customise the second roof as you wanted.

I just had a really quick pay and it seemed to work.

This picture is 2 roofs built off 2 Roof Baseline Polylines - one copy raised up and edited off to the side (white I joists) and the original roof (brown lumber).

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 4.08.13 pm.jpg

Hi there

Chopsaw, I'm using 1 1/8" ply on top of the 4' spaced rafters. I could throw in a header/blocking at the mid point so every other joist goes wall to wall and every other one gets the blocking/header. But i think that 1 1/8" will suffice. Plus the sleepers get A35 angles every 2'. I used this span table and I'm hoping the inspector buys it.

2126908214_11-8spans.thumb.png.5e5c4495233a5d0bdbf0d0e8465bbe83.png

But I'll let the inspector make the call.

Glen I noticed your upper and lower roof framing is spaced the same, whereas mine would be spaced 4' oc on the lower roof and 2' oc on the top roof. With your fast mock up, was this possible? I will check out the poly base line tool Glen, to see If can make it  work. 

Thanks for both of your replies.

You might be ok without snow loading to worry about. I think here we would need to put blocking all the way up the four foot spans but then that really puts a wrinkle in your ventilation plan especially with standing seam.

I think Glen's method would work fine with respect to the 2' and 4' centers as the roof planes are independent.  He likely drew that in about 2 minutes  knowing him.

25 minutes ago, Barnyardo said:

Glen I noticed your upper and lower roof framing is spaced the same, whereas mine would be spaced 4' oc on the lower roof and 2' oc on the top roof.

Very easy to do with the Rafter Spacing setting on the Structure tab of the Roof Plane Specification dbx. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 2.12.29 pm.jpg

Hi there

Chopsaw, I’m in Berkeley CA. so last snow was in about 1979. About all 1” of it. The roof will be unvented with 5 1/2” of closed cell foam. Not sure we really need to worry about thermal bridging, but I want to minimize rafters on that layer. Still I think your idea of blocking every 4’ would suffice. 
Glen, I am assuming you don’t have any surface layers in your roofs, and how do you get those pretty display colors? Anyways, if you do specify a roof surface layer on that top roof, how do you turn it off without turning the roof plane off???
FYI, I will be headed in to the Ventana wilderness starting tomorrow and won’t be back until Oct. 30th. So if you perceive radio silence, that is why. 
I’m grateful for your replied and suggestions. 

Thanks, Bernard