narrow to wider stairs?

DianeP

is this allowed?    Wanting to do this so that the opening at the top of the wider stairs will match the double door on the house.  I remember reading the landing is supposed to be the same width as the stairs, but wasn't sure if it would work if the stairs came to the landing from different directions, so thought  I would ask one of you experts.   Seems like a 6x6' landing would be incredibly large.   Thanks!  

image.thumb.png.3cd7d1e098aea0210cbbaa787bf82fe2.png

2 hours ago, DianeP said:

is this allowed?

What is allowed is what you intend to do and then do it whether it is by way of a dialog box, custom manual construct or Sketch Up. One is the only one "in control" and not the software. Yes Chief has programmed limitations but just about anything can be worked around if one persists.

The width of landings is what you make of them, you can make them wider by using the "Break Line" tool. Landings that are narrower than the stair are Architecturally incorrect and that is why the stair and landing tools are not programmed to do that (I suppose one could do a narrower landing than the stairs but I doubt that any inspector would allow such a thing). Honestly, I am not completely sure what you wish to solve, if you can do it, do it and do not worry about "Rules" (aka pre-programming barriers) and just ger er done, whatever it  is.

DJP

• Upvote 1

IRC2018 R311.7.6 Landings for stairways. . . The width perpendicular to the direction of travel shall be not less than the width of the flight served. . . Where the stairway has a straight run, the depth in the direction of travel shall be not less than 36 inches. 

Yes it is allowed so long as the landing is at least 36" deep.

• Upvote 1

I know that this is not a code forum, however, there is usually a minimum landing space in the direction of travel that is different for inside a residential dwelling, and for public space.  That being said, the code requirement for the landing being as deep as the stair width is a function of occupancy load to prevent a traffic jam.  In a private dwelling, depending upon your jurisdiction, there is usually a minimum landing depth.  Here in Ontario Canada, that is 36".

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone for your advise.  Didn't realize there was a section for building code questions.  I will keep it in mind for next time.  I appreciate everyone using their ESP in figuring out what I was trying to ask and giving me the help I was looking for on this stair question.  I will confirm that the landing is 44".