Looking for ideas for framing

rck-tech

Hi all,

I am trying to show the framing as an extra (visual /Instructional)  please see the attached picture. I am wondering if there is an easier way to show the frames.

I am not looking for anything specific, I am hoping for "brain storming session" with the group. 

The idea is if I have to show someone how all the walls come together; I tried the (perspective framing overview) but that does not do it clear enough. 

FramingIdeas.JPG

3 minutes ago, javatom said:

I would never show this on a plan

You are absolutely correct, need to hire a different framers LOL..

I am trying to use this for instructional purposes, I want to see if I have any other options, such as, would I be able to show the frames if I create wall elevations or something.

6 minutes ago, rck-tech said:

I want to see if I have any other options, such as, would I be able to show the frames if I create wall elevations or something.

You could do an back clipped elevation view of your 3D framing set but the wall details are better for notes and dimensions.  Lots of information that can be included that is difficult to put on a floor plan if you have framers that you can work with.

rck-teck

I do this quite often, I get quite a few contractors who are not exactly framers, but want to do the work themselves.  This becomes more important when the plan has specific framing requirements from an engineer.  I also get requests from plans examiners that want as much detail as they can get on the location of hold downs.  Probably as much for the plans examiners and the field inspectors as it is for the construction crews.

As Chopsaw says, the wall detail is a good place to add text and related info, but it can get a bit time consuming and possibly error prone due to having to keep CAD Symbols in their proper locations.

What, to me, would be ideal is to capture 3D hardware symbols from the model.  This way everything could be placed correctly and ideally carry offset info as well.  I would also like to have the ability to display the 3D hardware in the model inside the Wall Detail that would contain it.

8 hours ago, javatom said:

I would never show this on a plan.  Who would it be benefiting?  The framers know how to frame a wall.  If they don't, hire a different framer.

The only time I had to show these frame details is for a client that had four diff. plans that were going to factory built each section and assembled at the site.  Basically a kit.

Have you tried controlling by the layers in the Framing Overview camera?  Roof and ceiling and walls framing have their own layers, could turn the one's you don't want to show off to get the illustrations.

8 hours ago, RodCole said:

What, to me, would be ideal is to capture 3D hardware symbols from the model.  This way everything could be placed correctly and ideally carry offset info as well.  I would also like to have the ability to display the 3D hardware in the model inside the Wall Detail that would contain it.

Humm....    The way that works I might even consider it to be a bug or at least totally inconsistent with the rest of the layerset programming.

Have you discussed this with chief ?

50 minutes ago, mtldesigns said:

Have you tried controlling by the layers in the Framing Overview camera?  Roof and ceiling and walls framing have their own layers, could turn the one's you don't want to show to get the illustrations.

That would work fine except that each wall's framing members would need it's own layer to work effectively.  Otherwise you would need to do some pretty precise back clips and side clipping.

Possibly it will be something chief has addressed with the new X13 2D elevation views.;)