Hip Roof Issues

cajunland

Appreciate any advice on fixing hip roof issues.

House is rectangular with hip roof.

Issues:

1. Using Build- roof for hip style roof ridge board is too short. Shows to be about 5' long. Ridge board is approx. 15' 1/2" long.

Pitch used was 1:8.

2. Actual measurements using laser level inside attic show approx. 36 degrees on long side and approx. 31.4 degrees on shorter side.

I assume that translates to 1:9 long side and 1:8 shorter side. This creates gap between roof planes.

Plan is attached.

@cajunland - attached is a fix. I made two of the hips 10/12...the other 8/12. This allows the ridge to get longer.  You have a multitude of issues that I fixed...

- Changed all the porch walls to use the same type "Deck/Railing Fence".  This type is a single layer...but the same width as your main walls. 

- Changed your brick walls...I didn't see a need for a pony wall...maybe I missed something? But...changed brick walls to use "Brick-6" wall type.

- I used a roof polyline baseline...and aligned all right over main layer and made sure they were all the correct pitch.

- I opened each exterior wall and on the roof tab changed the pitch to either 8/12 or 10/12 as required. 

- When I built roof I told chief to "Ignore Top, 2nd floor"

The roof rafters on the plan you attached were not seated directly on top of the walls. Maybe you built them manually? Also...the roof baselines were out over the brick in some places...and aligned with the main layer in other places.

I have a YouTube page with many videos...you might check it out. (see my signature)

Fixed plan attached:  AS-BUILTCURRENTv5.0roof - Nestor Fix1.plan

• Upvote 1

I realized I missed responding to SNestor question- Changed your brick walls...I didn't see a need for a pony wall...maybe I missed something?

I was attempting a soldier brick course on top brick walls. Thought I saw one example using pony wall to achieve the effect.

But now that roof is fixed I will try again. I will check SNestor and solver videos to see better example of this.

Now that roof is fixed I will be posting issue for dormers that is difficult for me.

31 minutes ago, solver said:

Yes -- suggest you give it a try and see if it works for you. 

@solver

Been trying it. Working on a way to refine the view. Trying to get the pattern in vector view to look similar to the texture in Standard view.