Mulled door and window cutting floor finish

Seacoast

I have a mulled doorway and window (Transom) in my plan and it keeps cutting the floor finish at the sill area of the opening. In the DBX it is set as "Treat as Door" and I have tried every setting I can think of to fix this with no luck. In the DBX preview, it actually shows the casing wrapping the bottom of the opening. See attached screenshots. I searched the forum and couldn't find a topic on this issue. Any help is appreciated.

Mulled Door-Window Issue 1.jpg

Mulled Door-Window DBX.jpg

Thank you for the suggestions, but I'm sorry to say these do not work. Of course, not mulling them is an easy solution, but not the right solution. There is a reason I want them mulled. Not mulling them has its own problems. It's technically a door and being treated as such so the casing should not be wrapping around the bottom of the doorway. The window attributes seem to be overriding the door settings. I guess I'll be "patching" the sill area with a P-Line Solid or maybe trying the floor material region to fill in the floor. Thank you again for the suggestions.

Just now, Seacoast said:

I guess I'll be "patching" the sill area with a P-Line Solid or maybe trying the floor material region to fill in the floor. Thank you again for the suggestions.

I'd make the doorway full size with the window set within the doorway; no casing to the window. You can also use 3 object in the same place: a doorway that's the full size (this will have the casing and trim) and the mulled unit, sans trim.

Try changing it to 0” from finished floor instead of subfloor.

interior doors are not generally placed on the subfloor IRL they are held up

for soft finishes or installed after hard surfaces mostly.  This is trying to be installed below the finished floor surface.

I also have had same issue.

I tried solver solution and applying it seems to have fixed several design flaws in my design for multiple transom topped doorways.

I watched solver YOUTube video to apply it.

If I understand the solution correctly, I need to create the material (polyline solid or thin slab object) to go on top of sill to fill in the area and then make it match a floor material on either side of doorway or define it as same material if matching floor types on each side.

Material regions on the floor isn't the most practical solution, especially if you need a flooring transition at the doorway. It's really much simpler:

• Make the doorway full height of the combined opening.
  • off to the side, place and size your window.
  • Turn off window casing.
  • Select window, and center on the doorway.

Fortunately, a doorway's measurement are INSIDE the jamb, while a window's measurements are OUTSIDE of the frame, so no math required!

Last step: Don't try to mull them (it won't work anyhow)!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

Fortunately, a doorway's measurement are INSIDE the jamb, while a window's measurements are OUTSIDE of the frame, so no math required!

Good point!  This method does work much easier.  Only minor drawback I can find is that if you want the window sash to be a different material/color then on the 'exterior' side you'd need to add a p-solid casing at the bottom of the window.

10 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

you'd need to add a p-solid casing at the bottom of the window.

Why? Care to elaborate? I'm not smart enough to just know what you're referring to! My thinking is that one of the paint colors has to meet somewhere, right? So what's wrong with the edge line where the underside meets the 'exterior'?

image.thumb.png.9a8bf8a156a553ea83ee3fa4719cff5c.png

7 minutes ago, robdyck said:

So what's wrong with the edge line where the underside meets the 'exterior'?

Ahh...Nothing wrong with that at all in my book, but since you hadn't shown an example until now, I assumed that you thickened the bottom frame width to get the heavier look of the mulled units the others are doing.  When you do that you can't have a separate color per below example without a p-solid.   You could leave the casing on the window to get it, but then you get a hollow area behind the casing.  Like I said.. minor issue.. just depends what one is after.

Transom.JPG

3 minutes ago, robdyck said:

You know me, I'd use another window! Inner window reduced in size and height by the thickness of the frame, outer window a pass-through.

It's the russian doll doorway! :lol:  Could you now add 3 small fixed glass units into each of those 3 lites so they can all have a different color of stained glass?

• Like 1

solver Solution applied: Looks fixed now.

I watched solver video and took notes of his plan dbx specs.

I found floor material region he referenced was easy to apply. ( pg. 749 -CA X12 Reference Manual)

I've got 5 of these transom mulled units in interior walls, 2 exterior wall door mulled transom units and 5 exterior wall window mulled transom units.

I think using this solution this keeps me out of trouble for any possible future changes in the plan.

In my first attempt I saw baseboard trim didn't fit against casing. It does now.

Pics below.

elevation view.JPG

transom standard view.JPG

transom vector view.JPG