Can I easily copy a CAD layer to another plan?

mgianzero

Perhaps this is just a novice question that there's a simple answer to but I couldn't find answer anywhere.

I imported, sized and tweaked my CAD layer for my plan which contains some details about my floor plan.  But now I wanted to experiment with a few other options.  So I wanted to play with another design, but use the same CAD layer as a reference.  So is there an easy way to copy the entire default CAD layer, or any layer for that matter within the same plan, or even to another plan?

Marc G. 

I consider it easier, when we are talking about a single layer to just create a new custom layer, especially in one's Profile.Plan, so that layer is then available to hand in all future plans. If one has a group of custom layers then can be exported (File - Export - Layer Sets) and then imported into a target plan or one's profile.plan for future use in all plans.

DJP

• Upvote 1

On 10/5/2020 at 10:14 AM, solver said:

You want to copy things on a specific layer, like text or lines to another plan?

Yes!  That is what I want to do - copy the CONTENTS of what is on my layer to a whole other plan.

As an example, I have a CAD layer that has the plan view of all my walls.  I like to snap my actual 3D walls to these 2D CAD lines.  But then I want to have another plan were I draw in the walls a little differently. 

So I want all the contents from a specific layer to be copied to another plan.  When I use cut and paste, it doesn't seem to work as expected.

Marc G.

3 hours ago, mgianzero said:

When I use cut and paste, it doesn't seem to work as expected. 

Check the active cad layer that you are pasting to is displayed? Only reason that might not work. OR if you imported a dwg and it is on multiple layers?

Personally I use "reference display" for that.

Place dwg (CAD) on defined layer and use a layerset that only shows that layer. There are advantages to using separate plan with nothing else there but the CAD.

Have that plan open,

then open the plan you want to work on.

Turn on reference display, then "change floor/reference" to show the plan and layerset with the CAD. As long as the CAD is not blocked you can snap to that now but will not change any of it from the plan you are working in.

Don't copy the layer, copy the plan. Hit SAVE AS and make a new copy of the plan you are working on. Now you can change and experiment and the original plan file is unchanged.

But yes, you can also simply copy and paste. Open the new plan, select the cad block, hold CTRL C go to the new plan and hold CTRL ALT V.

Make the CAD layer a block first.

On 10/10/2020 at 4:14 AM, MarkMc said:

Check the active cad layer that you are pasting to is displayed? Only reason that might not work. OR if you imported a dwg and it is on multiple layers?

Personally I use "reference display" for that.

Place dwg (CAD) on defined layer and use a layerset that only shows that layer. There are advantages to using separate plan with nothing else there but the CAD.

Have that plan open,

then open the plan you want to work on.

Turn on reference display, then "change floor/reference" to show the plan and layerset with the CAD. As long as the CAD is not blocked you can snap to that now but will not change any of it from the plan you are working in.

Yes, I thought of doing it this way.  But I need to play around with it more before I feel comfortable.

I've actually snapped my walls to one of my CAD layers, but I wanted to modify my CAD layer (or copy and modify it) so that I can see some variations of my design.  I've already draw my walls in one version, but now I want to change some walls around and play with something else.  I know there's a "CAD to Wall" feature, is there a "Wall to CAD" feature as well?  So that I can easily create my new 2D CAD layer with my new walls? 

I know I can draw some polylines that snap to the walls and do it this way.  But it gets complicated when I have curved and straight walls, etc.  Is there an easier way?

Marc

1 hour ago, mgianzero said:

but I wanted to modify my CAD layer (or copy and modify it) so that I can see some variations of my design. 

I only use CAD like that for as built so I never change it.

For variations consider using referance display showing other pla(s)

3 hours ago, solver said:

You don't snap to a layer, you snap to objects on that layer.

Okay, we're talking semantics here.  I should have said I wanted to snap to OBJECTS on that layer.

Maybe you wanted to modify some objects (lines) that happen to be on a specific layer.

Yes, semantics again.  I want to change objects ON that layer, namely my 2D CAD image of my walls.

Learn to use the wall tools. Snapping walls to CAD is sometimes useful when a wall is curved, or maybe angled.

Yes, I do have some curved walls AND angled walls in my terrain that I've discovered are MUCH easier to control their movement if I snap them to CAD.  But that's only if I have the CAD there already.  Once I start moving these walls (not snapping to CAD, they can be difficult to do exactly what you want.  I wish I could stop that "off angle wall" warning.  It comes up all the time when working with terrain.

I believe I know how to use the wall tools, unless there's some snap behavior that I need to learn more about.  I'm moving around my outdoor "plantar and retaining walls" (not sure what to call them since some are raised plantars and some retain a bit of soil) but I'm using foundation walls for my purpose.  I also don't particularly like to use terrain walls because they have very limited features (no walls caps, footings, walls coverings and wall types to change). 

The problem with foundation walls is that when they get close to each other, they snap together or merge.  If I set a fixed length to them, they don't stay like that if they are close to another wall but join the adjacent wall and change their length   I also want to change some features like wall caps on part of some walls, but not on others and CA doesn't seem to like that.  Even if I break my walls into segments, CA merges them all together again if I do any slight movements to the wall.

Again, I'm perhaps not using the correct terminology here and I apologize for that.  But please try to understand what I am trying to explain here.

1 hour ago, MarkMc said:

I only use CAD like that for as built so I never change it.

For variations consider using referance display showing other pla(s)

Yes Mark, this feature is nice and I plan on using it once I complete drawing with my as-built walls the way they are on the property. 

The problem is, I imported a survey of the property as a guide, but it was done many years ago by a surveyor who made lots of mistakes.  So when I find a mistake in the survey, I go out and measure the exact dimensions and position of the walls and then do my best to move the wall where I want.  Then I want to change my CAD drawing to reflect that. 

Once I get my as-built done correctly, I will use reference display to compare plans.