How can I modify (or edit) a 3D symbol I created earlier?

mgianzero

I guess I'm not fully understanding 3D symbols and how they work.  I've read the CA manual about this but it doesn't seem to answer my question. 

As I am continuing to model this pool, I am discovering new and convenient ways to make edits to my plan.  As an example, I have these pillars (or columns - not sure the right architectural term here) which are used at several places of my plan (corners of pool and fountain spillway).  I chose to make these pillars as symbols for convenience.  So I created my pillars using a countertop with moulding as shown here.

790755756_Exampleofpillars.thumb.jpg.9f3ef68ace905367d07abf801a484770.jpg

But then I wanted to modify this symbol (make it taller, remove molding from one side) and since I did not keep the original countertop object I used to create it, it seems as though I lost the ability to really change it much.  I can change the size, but what if I wanted to make more edits like I did when I first created this symbol?  I wanted to change the material and remove molding from one side.  How can I convert my symbol back to its original format to make the same edits like when I created this symbol?

Marc G.

1 hour ago, mgianzero said:

I wanted to change the material

You can change the material but unless you created it with an independent material zone where you now want to change it.  It will be rather complicated to revise.

remove molding from one side.

It may be possible to use the delete surfaces tool to remove the molding and then recreate the symbol.

I can change the size

There is a lot that can be done using stretch planes and zones to selectively change the size.

How can I convert my symbol back to its original format to make the same edits like when I created this symbol?

This is not currently possible, hence your original idea of saving the original is always a good idea if you have put a lot of time into creating something that may need to be revised.

Architectural blocks can sometimes be used in the place of symbols allowing them to be exploded for future revisions and modifications.

9 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

This is not currently possible, hence your original idea of saving the original is always a good idea if you have put a lot of time into creating something that may need to be revised.

Architectural blocks can sometimes be used in the place of symbols allowing them to be exploded for future revisions and modifications.

Thank you Chopsaw for that information.  It would be nice if the literature explained that - seems like an obvious concern that one would have.

Although there's currently not a way to go back and edit a symbol, I'll consider using an architectural block as a way to do this for the time being.  Thanks for the idea!

Marc

9 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Joe had requested a way to convert symbols to solids which is still only a partial solution but potentially useful in some situations.

Just read this.   I believe that suggestion was made back in 2014!   How long does it take CA developers to acknowledge and consider new ideas in their updates?  That's crazy!