Moving Symbol less than 1/16"

kwhitt

I'm creating a custom hood and have created a framed face from a base cabinet.  I then converted this face into a symbol and rotated it as necessary.  In an elevation view, I am attempting to place it, however, I am only able to move the symbol in 1/16" increments.  I cannot therefore get the symbol exactly where I need it (about 1/32" away).  As there is no snapping point where I need one, I created a CAD Detail from View and drew a segment from the origin point to where I need it to move.  I then copy-paste (hold position) the segment into the elevation.  I thought this would solve my problem, but it still won't let me snap exactly where I want it.  Can someone please advise me on moving an object precisely where I want it without having to adhere to the 1/16" accuracy standard?  Thanks!

01_3D.jpg

02_elevation.jpg

Create a Cad Detail from view...In the CDFV draw a line between the two points you want to connect...copy the line - go back to plan - paste and hold position.  You should be able to move your symbol using point to point. 

41 minutes ago, SNestor said:

Create a Cad Detail from view...In the CDFV draw a line between the two points you want to connect...copy the line - go back to plan - paste and hold position.  You should be able to move your symbol using point to point. 

Thanks Steve - that is exactly what I described above (although not too well).  It won't move into the exact position.  The arrow in the 2nd image is pointing to this CAD line in elevation view.  Attached is a simplified .plan file.  Could it have something to do with the fact that it's a symbol that I'm trying to move?

test.zip

45 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Thanks Steve - that is exactly what I described above (although not too well).  It won't move into the exact position.  The arrow in the 2nd image is pointing to this CAD line in elevation view.  Attached is a simplified .plan file.  Could it have something to do with the fact that it's a symbol that I'm trying to move?

test.zip

Yea....I see the problem you are having. Can't say I have a solution...seems to me it could be something related to the bounding box of the symbol...but I'm just guessing.

Does it have to be perfect?  You are talking about 1/32" or so...

It looks pretty good to me...

2020-10-04_10-05-22.thumb.png.09f266959a1c949c0a575f4f73d6f38b.png2020-10-04_10-05-09.thumb.png.0732a797a7c7e6cd6c318d2fa44aaf88.png

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SNestor said:

Yea....I see the problem you are having. Can't say I have a solution...seems to me it could be something related to the bounding box of the symbol...but I'm just guessing.

Does it have to be perfect?  You are talking about 1/32" or so...

It looks pretty good to me...

2020-10-04_10-05-22.thumb.png.09f266959a1c949c0a575f4f73d6f38b.png2020-10-04_10-05-09.thumb.png.0732a797a7c7e6cd6c318d2fa44aaf88.png

Steve - you're right.  It does look good enough for the 3D, but I need to spec this hood for the shop to include the miters.  I guess I can just fix it in a CAD detail.  Thanks again for your input!

32 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Hi Kevin,   I guess I need to review my tech support case again as I thought they were able to get that issue resolved but must have broken it again.   I completely understand your frustration. ;)

Hey Chop - I didn't realize this was already a known issue.

11 hours ago, kwhitt said:

I'm creating a custom hood and have created a framed face from a base cabinet

A bit of an alternate for making angled hood symbol/parts, (threw in a couple of variations in the cabinet doors). Just for ideas, middle of setting up new machine so don't have libraries yet but you will get the idea :). Eliminates the 1/32 issue, some variations will use default cabinet molding and use cabinet defaults for finishes. Now if you want the cabinet door edges beveled that requires a custom door to begin with but I never ask for that from the maker.

image.thumb.png.b3defbf717d96ce70f4f300dfc9d2d82.png

Hood method.plan

11 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

A bit of an alternate for making angled hood symbol/parts

Nice... I was wondering if that could be done, but I have to say that after looking at the model for a while, it feels like one of Michael's puzzles!  I see you have to two stacked angle front cabinets on the left size of the wall as a start, but how did you rotate them without turning them into a symbol?

11 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

how did you rotate them without turning them into a symbol? 

I did turn them into a cabinet door symbol, then rotated. A couple of door symbols in the plan for investigation. 

Just now, MarkMc said:

I did turn them into a cabinet door symbol, then rotated. A couple of door symbols in the plan for investigation. 

Oh really?!?... I selected the adjacent finished hoods to the right on the wall and when selected they show up as cabinets, not symbols? 
Now I'm guessing perhaps you placed a symbol over a regular cabinet... will have to look at that again... but though I tried tab selecting and could only get the cabinet. 

29 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Oh really?!?... I selected the adjacent finished hoods to the right on the wall and when selected they show up as cabinets, not symbols? 
Now I'm guessing perhaps you placed a symbol over a regular cabinet... will have to look at that again... but though I tried tab selecting and could only get the cabinet. 

Open the cabinet dbx, face items, seewhat the doors are. The door symbols are included in the floor plan bottom right. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 10/4/2020 at 3:33 AM, kwhitt said:

I'm creating a custom hood and have created a framed face from a base cabinet.  I then converted this face into a symbol and rotated it as necessary.  In an elevation view, I am attempting to place it, however, I am only able to move the symbol in 1/16" increments.  I cannot therefore get the symbol exactly where I need it (about 1/32" away).  As there is no snapping point where I need one, I created a CAD Detail from View and drew a segment from the origin point to where I need it to move.  I then copy-paste (hold position) the segment into the elevation.  I thought this would solve my problem, but it still won't let me snap exactly where I want it.  Can someone please advise me on moving an object precisely where I want it without having to adhere to the 1/16" accuracy standard?  Thanks!

01_3D.jpg

02_elevation.jpg

This is a problem that comes up every once in a while and that should probably get fixed.  Hopefully you report it.  In the meantime, one thing you can do is figure out the dimension the object needs to be moved and then enter the required value(s) as a very small Origin Offset...

pic2.thumb.jpg.b5c760bcc5db3c61982f8b2ff31e36c9.jpgpic.thumb.jpg.dfb36bf125de0c76ea5afad130623514.jpgpic3.thumb.jpg.2b2a48bcc8485ec5d32e7289da7559d4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/4/2020 at 6:59 PM, MarkMc said:

A bit of an alternate for making angled hood symbol/parts, (threw in a couple of variations in the cabinet doors). Just for ideas, middle of setting up new machine so don't have libraries yet but you will get the idea :). Eliminates the 1/32 issue, some variations will use default cabinet molding and use cabinet defaults for finishes. Now if you want the cabinet door edges beveled that requires a custom door to begin with but I never ask for that from the maker.

image.thumb.png.b3defbf717d96ce70f4f300dfc9d2d82.png

Hood method.plan

Thanks Mark.  Very Clever!

13 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

This is a problem that comes up every once in a while and that should probably get fixed.  Hopefully you report it.  In the meantime, one thing you can do is figure out the dimension the object needs to be moved and then enter the required value(s) as a very small Origin Offset...

pic2.thumb.jpg.b5c760bcc5db3c61982f8b2ff31e36c9.jpgpic.thumb.jpg.dfb36bf125de0c76ea5afad130623514.jpgpic3.thumb.jpg.2b2a48bcc8485ec5d32e7289da7559d4.jpg

Thank you Michael for the workaround.  I will get it reported.  Kevin