Template Wall Defaults

stevenyhof

Just wanted to follow up...

Everyone on this thread has helped in the understanding of this and my main template file has been free now of the extra walls and duplicating. So, that was my goal of this post and now I feel a little more in control. Now when I want to add a wall into the Define Wall Types... dbx, I go into my template and carefully select only the down arrow and not the folder and click on the wall I want to add - like Solver and Michael so clearly pointed out. 

Clicking on walls now in the library on a new plan does not add anything into the library of the template file - which is perfect!

Thank you,

Steve

One thing I have found is that I have a wall called Siding-6. I cannot find this file in my defaults or connected to any wall in my library, yet I cannot delete it because it says it is in the file. I even backed way out on each floor and selects the whole screen trying to see if it was off in space somewhere. Not a big deal, but I have found that the system likes to use that wall now and then, I think when I change an exterior 4" wall to a 6" wall in the General tab - Thickness field. I will try to pay attention and see if and when this happens. I don't like it because it is set up differently - but as I type this, I guess I will go into that wall and make it's settings match my Exterior Siding-6 wall type.

1.jpg

11 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Just wanted to follow up...

Everyone on this thread has helped in the understanding of this and my main template file has been free now of the extra walls and duplicating. So, that was my goal of this post and now I feel a little more in control. Now when I want to add a wall into the Define Wall Types... dbx, I go into my template and carefully select only the down arrow and not the folder and click on the wall I want to add - like Solver and Michael so clearly pointed out. 

Clicking on walls now in the library on a new plan does not add anything into the library of the template file - which is perfect!

Thank you,

Steve

One thing I have found is that I have a wall called Siding-6. I cannot find this file in my defaults or connected to any wall in my library, yet I cannot delete it because it says it is in the file. I even backed way out on each floor and selects the whole screen trying to see if it was off in space somewhere. Not a big deal, but I have found that the system likes to use that wall now and then, I think when I change an exterior 4" wall to a 6" wall in the General tab - Thickness field. I will try to pay attention and see if and when this happens. I don't like it because it is set up differently - but as I type this, I guess I will go into that wall and make it's settings match my Exterior Siding-6 wall type.

1.jpg

If you change the thickness of that wall in general it will create a new wall type.  I.e. exterior-4 if you change to 6” thick it will become a new type called exterior 4.2. 

as far as what you are saying about it not being in your plan my guess is that it is the exterior wall default setting as I believe it is oob when starting with chief’s template.

• Like 1

Just now, rgardner said:

as far as what you are saying about it not being in your plan my guess is that it is the exterior wall default setting as I believe it is oob when starting with chief’s template.

Yes, I was wondering about that. Thank you