Going over an existing wall - but offset

stevenyhof

Just wondering if this is normal or how things work in Chief. It would be nice to be able to just trace over my wall with the new wall and it be placed correctly. I guess I could try changing the walltype and see how that goes. No, I am using a pony wall that is all set up with heights. So done when I am done tracing over the original.

Most certainly doesn't work that way for me. I perform that same function and the exterior main layer of the new wall always follows the same line of the wall being replaced.

Spoke too soon. I may be remembering that wrong!

Although I must say, I'd be group selecting walls and performing a wholesale change using the dialog box.

2 hours ago, solver said:

Experiment with these settings. May also depend on the Pony Wall?

ct1.thumb.png.dc31fe8c5461e8088f00866408868538.png

This won't help with continuous draw^
@solver and @stevenyhof Continuous draw pivots on the center of the main wall layer.

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

Although I must say, I'd be group selecting walls and performing a wholesale change using the dialog box.

@robdyck^ This would only work with @solver method

Bigger question for me is why are you drawing over foundation walls? If you are drawing a wall that will be aligned with a wall above, why not copy the wall above and paste-hold-position below? Or simple use the Align With Above Tool. If you use both solver and robs suggestion together it will work as you intend it to, but not with continuous draw mode.

16 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

This would only work

I wonder what @stevenyhof defaults are set to...I've always had my wall defaults using the main layer outside, and the main reason I group select and change in that situation is because I always need those daylighted foundation walls to be pony walls. Of course I do use the copy and paste method you mentioned in many other situations.

I'm sure Steve will be making adjustments shortly as some of these tips will certainly help him with the issue he described.

1 hour ago, Renerabbitt said:

This won't help with continuous draw^
@solver and @stevenyhof Continuous draw pivots on the center of the main wall layer.

@robdyck^ This would only work with @solver method

Bigger question for me is why are you drawing over foundation walls? If you are drawing a wall that will be aligned with a wall above, why not copy the wall above and paste-hold-position below? Or simple use the Align With Above Tool. If you use both solver and robs suggestion together it will work as you intend it to, but not with continuous draw mode.

I will try the align option - that may work fast. I generate me foundation wall from my main floor. For daylight and walkout, I draw over the wall with a pony wall all set up with the conc. and siding walls with my daylight height set perfectly. This works very nice. Typically I only have one or two walls like this so it is fast. This home just happened to have a number of walls and I noticed it will not remain lined up.

26 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Look at the arrows, he is illustrating the various resize about settings. If you were to select Main Layer Inside and then select your two walls and change to your proposed wall it would do what you want it to.

Here is what I find. If I place my pony wall in the center of the existing stem wall, it works as expected. Both main layers of the stem wall and the pony wall line up perfectly. If I start my pony wall on an end of the stem wall, it starts in a different place...

2 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Here is what I find. If I place my pony wall in the center of the existing stem wall, it works as expected. Both main layers of the stem wall and the pony wall line up perfectly. If I start my pony wall on an end of the stem wall, it starts in a different place..

Something is getting lost in translation. To do as previously mentioned using what Rob and Eric advised, you would need to set your General Wall Defaults to Resize About Main Layer Inside and then you would need to select your foundation walls and open them up. In the wall dbx Wall Types\ replace the foundation wall with the wall type from your library. This will replace your wall with the proposed wall and aligh at the inside main layer

12 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Something is getting lost in translation. To do as previously mentioned using what Rob and Eric advised, you would need to set your General Wall Defaults to Resize About Main Layer Inside and then you would need to select your foundation walls and open them up. In the wall dbx Wall Types\ replace the foundation wall with the wall type from your library. This will replace your wall with the proposed wall and aligh at the inside main layer

To change to a pony wall means I would need to select both walls in the dbx, adding a pony wall. Then I would need to set up my heights. I have my setting as Main layer and as it shows in the video, it works differently depending on if you start from the middle or end - which I think it messed up. So I will chalk this up as - it is what it is. It really is not a big deal - was just bringing it up as what I see is some program issue. I'm just saying that I will spend more time messing with these settings that are defaulted for most of what I draw and so this is really a small thing. Thank you.

2.jpg