3D Molding Line in 3 Axes

kwhitt

I've got a shower enclosure that I want to trim with a metal channel – see first image.  I can draw segments 1 and 2, but run into problems when attempting to draw 3 from another elevation.  I can get a third segment started, but where it ends up is anyone’s guess.  Is this tool even designed to draw in 3 axes?  If so, what is the process by which I go about doing it?  Thanks, Kevin

Untitled 1.jpg

With 3D molding polylines, it's imperative that you draw and edit them in very specific views and in a very specific sequence sometimes.  Anyway, I won't go into all that here because I personally wouldn't use a 3D molding polyline for that particular scenario at all or, if I did, I would use 2 or even 3 of them.  What I would likely use myself would be some polyline solids or solids.  

• Like 1

Draw all three lines in plan view and convert to 3D polyline. Take a cross section toward the one you want vertical. Select the open end that needs to go vertical and move it until it is vertical. You will have to adjust to the correct height  and check your horizontal lines also to make sure they are where you want them to be. 3D polylines are just finicky!

Capture.JPG

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

3D polylines are just finicky!

They aren't too bad if the segments are edited using their coordinates as opposed to a drag-and-draw approach.

@kwhitt

And in this approach, why would you bother with a 3d molding for the entire thing? It's not being welded together offsite to be one piece! If pieces work in real, can't pieces work for you too? Draw the vertical in section view, draw the level channels in plan view. Do this all while the correct channel molding is selected in your library browser. Easy peasy.

Anyhow, I'd me more worried about waterproofing that hardwood and baseboard!

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

With 3D molding polylines, it's imperative that you draw and edit them in very specific views and in a very specific sequence sometimes.  Anyway, I won't go into all that here because I personally wouldn't use a 3D molding polyline for that particular scenario at all or, if I did, I would use 2 or even 3 of them.  What I would likely use myself would be some polyline solids or solids.  

Thanks Michael.  Yes, I actually created several symbols with various miter combinations.  This made it easy to snap the various parts in place.

22 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Draw all three lines in plan view and convert to 3D polyline. Take a cross section toward the one you want vertical. Select the open end that needs to go vertical and move it until it is vertical. You will have to adjust to the correct height  and check your horizontal lines also to make sure they are where you want them to be. 3D polylines are just finicky!

Capture.JPG

Thanks Mike.  Yes, I suppose they take some getting used to.  

22 hours ago, robdyck said:

They aren't too bad if the segments are edited using their coordinates as opposed to a drag-and-draw approach.

@kwhitt

And in this approach, why would you bother with a 3d molding for the entire thing? It's not being welded together offsite to be one piece! If pieces work in real, can't pieces work for you too? Draw the vertical in section view, draw the level channels in plan view. Do this all while the correct channel molding is selected in your library browser. Easy peasy.

Anyhow, I'd me more worried about waterproofing that hardwood and baseboard!

Thanks Rob.  Appreciate the feedback.  I ended up making several symbols with different miter combos.  I can now use them whenever I want from the library.  I hadn't gotten around to the floors yet!