Material changes on wall type

stevenyhof

So I made a wall type that is only a stone wall - inside and out. I have a thin wall on my screen and placed this 4" wall on each side - worked fine. Then I wanted to copy the wall and base to the rear house wall as shown. But when it connects to the siding wall, it changes my stone wall to match the siding.

I guess I can make a stone wall, but I do not want stone over the doors - I want columns. Thoughts?

1.jpg

45 minutes ago, solver said:

Walls like to interact with other walls often in ways we don't want. Sometimes making a wall No Room Definition helps, but unless you need those to be walls with framing or some other reason, I might use solids placed manually as required. 

Very good. So far I got it working by not bumping it. But this is all helpful as I move forward. Thank you

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Definitely the material region or one of various ways of making solids seems the way to go (countertops is yet another)... but FYI there is a little trick to keeping walls from connecting in some cases where it's causing problems.. (often encountered where railings meet other wall types) and that is to use a short section of invisible room divider wall perpendicular to the two wall types you're trying to keep separated.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DzinEye said:

Definitely the material region or one of various ways of making solids seems the way to go (countertops is yet another)... but FYI there is a little trick to keeping walls from connecting in some cases where it's causing problems.. (often encountered where railings meet other wall types) and that is to use a short section of invisible room divider wall perpendicular to the two wall types you're trying to keep separated.

Very cool! I will remember this. Thank you!

Not sure if it will be helpful in this particular situation , but a Walltype can also be marked as a "Partition" causing it to react differently when it touches other walls but there is also

The "furred wall" option on the structure tab> dbl Wall options may also work?   ( for use when two walls "touch" or bump each other - see "marriage walls" in manual)

I may have just made a new Walltype for those sections including all layer from both walls or just used a Solid as others pointed out

M.

• Like 1