Odd window shape

MN_JohnH

I am wondering if it is possible to create a window with this shape.
I have a faux "W" truss in a wall and they want windows in the spaces.
I know I can do it with polyline solids and I can do a lot of shapes with the upper angles with a window but I have not been able to figure out how to git it to this shape.
That top line matches the roof line and the bottom line is level but the two sides are somewhat free form to fit the truss.

odd window in W truss.jpg

Depending on how many design iterations you may go through, it may be simpler to use a 3D molding polyline for your window frames / jambs / casings and a solid for the window glass. This can all be drawn quickly using a section view, and a cad detail from that view to derive snap points and reference lines. It can be far quicker, more precise and more flexible than attempting to set the shape of each window using the window dialog.

On 9/25/2020 at 3:25 AM, MN_JohnH said:

I am wondering if it is possible to create a window with this shape.
I have a faux "W" truss in a wall and they want windows in the spaces.
I know I can do it with polyline solids and I can do a lot of shapes with the upper angles with a window but I have not been able to figure out how to git it to this shape.
That top line matches the roof line and the bottom line is level but the two sides are somewhat free form to fit the truss.

odd window in W truss.jpg

This is such a great question.  The SHAPE option in the window DBX is severely limited.  I can build the window you want,  but it is upside down,  Check out the pic,  I built your window but as I said it is upside down.

492673038_ScreenShot2020-09-26at7_54_17AM.thumb.png.5b0d317a2ca49cad59866a7a94706aff.png

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, dshall said:

This is such a great question.  The SHAPE option in the window DBX is severely limited.  I can build the window you want,  but it is upside down,  Check out the pic,  I built your window but as I said it is upside down.

492673038_ScreenShot2020-09-26at7_54_17AM.thumb.png.5b0d317a2ca49cad59866a7a94706aff.png

Make as Scott has shown using a manually drawn Polyline as a template (to get the required numbers), Convert To Symbol, set Rotation to 180 degrees and rotate once around the Y axis, set symbol to Inserts Into Wall (including appropriate Depth setting), drop into plan, and then use your original manually drawn Polyline as a template to adjust the symbol's Wall Cutout Polyline.

23 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Make as Scott has shown using a manually drawn Polyline as a template (to get the required numbers), Convert To Symbol, set Rotation to 180 degrees and rotate once around the Y axis, set symbol to Inserts Into Wall (including appropriate Depth setting), drop into plan, and then use your original manually drawn Polyline as a template to adjust the symbol's Wall Cutout Polyline.

Wow, thanks, that is awesome. I got everything to work except the wall cutout polyline. I click on the wall cutout polyline tool but the whole still isn't all the way through the wall. Seems like the interior wall covering is still there no matter what I do...

If you look at the elevation camera you can see the window I am trying to create. The triangle one in the middle I had no trouble with. the one to the left I used Michael's suggestion and turned the window over once I had it shaped right. On the elevation it looks like it worked but on the full camera the interior wall surface is still there, the hole in the wall doesn't seem to be complete.

truss window opeing.plan