gable vent placement

stevenyhof

I have been moving along nicely in Chief, but today on the last vent I wanted to place before I begin to detail the plan, I am stuck trying to place the last vent. It will not let me for the life of me place the vent into the gable and into the center. I tried to find bumping or even make the symbol of a different type, and the last resort will be to make it cad lines - which I would like to think I do not need to as all the other vents placed just fine.

link to plan... https://drive.google.com/file/d/18CcAzj3jJhZQWMf87D3xVxnngFQBuRh8/view?usp=sharing

a.jpg

I am not quite sure how it happened but your vent symbol seems to have experienced some corruption.  Go to the Sizing tab of the Symbol Specification DBX and turn on Stretch Planes and Bounding Box display in the preview then Fill Window.

image.thumb.png.a85a7691a000be4ecbe9def9900f7ae8.png

This is likely causing the erratic behaviour, but not sure how you fix it short of recreating the symbol. 

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

It's what Eric said.  You have a wall in the attic preventing the placement.  Simply change that wall to invisible temporarily, place the window, and then change the wall back.

I'll try that. These are just Chiefs vents

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

It's what Eric said.  You have a wall in the attic preventing the placement.  Simply change that wall to invisible temporarily, place the window, and then change the wall back.

I made the main floor wall invisible, but the vent still will not allow me to move it center, not even with holding the Ctrl key down. I think Chopsaw has a point - I also noted that the symbol looks messed up.

2 minutes ago, solver said:

Chief will often clutter up the attic with unneeded auto built attic walls. I'll often delete the attic level and let Chief rebuild. Just need to copy the things I don't want deleted. You have vents and windows that are easy to copy and paste, but other things like trim and brackets need to be copied too. I generally place them on the first floor instead of the attic and then move up into position so they don't get deleted.

Thank you Eric! I did not think about letting Chief rebuild. I understand on the details needing to be copied. I will give it a try on a copy of the plan.

19 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Inside wall is cutting differently - I'll figure it out - must be something in structure

7.jpg

The attic rebuild cleaned things up nicely! Thank you Eric. I am still trying to figure this gable out. I even put a new roof on and it still is cutting like I have rafters or something. 

3 minutes ago, solver said:

Your roof planes have Use Room Ceiling Finish unchecked. Look in the attic with a camera and all your roof planes show a ceiling finish material, and that's showing at the vent. No idea why only this one.

Check that setting and see what happens.

ct1.thumb.png.67f523a4452960d8ec362f41ab5fdd7b.png

Got it - Thought is looked like a ceiling plane