House with Colonial Columns

mtldesigns

I was asked to bid this 3500 sq. ft. design.  I have never done this style type, and really not my favorite, but I do like a challenge.  Would this house be considered a Classic Colonial, I have no idea.  The house itself and the roof, I don't see a problem with, but my concern would be the columns, esp. being at 20' + tall?  Would anyone have a place where I can go see details of this (link), esp. the structural parts.  Any help or direction will be appreciated.

Thank       

COLUMNS.png

I searched this sight you sent, where did you find this chart?  There will be some loads on these, esp. lateral, house is being build in a hurricane wind zone area, so if I get this contract, I will have to rely on engineer before I attempt to design and spec out. Like I mentioned, def not used to this type.. not a 4x4 post by any means. For quoting purposes, I will figure a couple more hours than normal.

Thanks Eric!

Not so much the structural part but for these Classical Styles of Homes the book "Get My House Right" will help with the "Style" stuff relatively cheaply.....

https://www.amazon.com/Get-Your-House-Right-Architectural/dp/1402791038

The Field Guide to American Houses is also good.....

https://www.amazon.com/Field-Guide-American-Houses-Revised/dp/0375710825

both available on Kindle or Kobo too.

M.

• Like 1

Thanks Mick,

Its been a while since I researched books, and ordered.  These two links got me thinking of other projects too, like a pole barn house I am also doing. So I bought the two you listed and two others..  Thanks for the reminder that there is literature out there, that isn't found via Google. 

Of course wife think these are boring reads..  :-)  

2 hours ago, mtldesigns said:

Of course wife think these are boring reads..  :-)  

I never said they weren't boring :)      each to their own though right?  they're good Throne Room reading ... :) 

Some don't like Get My House Right, but personally I like it and agree with a lot of the info but look at it as a guide only,

some seem to be really put out by Others ( not the Author) saying it is a definitive guide though.

M.

WHEN I DO THOSE POSTS IN SOUTH FLORIDA I USE A RED IRON ENGINEERED DESIGNED 4X4  OR 6X6 ECT TO  ANCHORED TO CONC  PAD FOOTING AND BOLTED TO BEAM EITHER EMBEDDED IN TO A CON. TIE BEAM OR MAYBE BOLTED TO TRUSS GIRDER.  WOOD I SUPPOSE THERE ARE ALOT OF COLUMN COVERS TO CHOOSE FROM wE USE A LOT OF PRECAST CONCRETE COLUMNS (OR USED TO)  WITH A SEAM VERTICAL