How to apply multiple materials to an imported 3D symbol?

AnitaClark

46 minutes ago, AnitaClark said:

Hello! I have imported a 3D AutoCAD file into Chief, I believe there is a way to explode the object so I can apply different materials to it but I am unsure how.  I am working on Premier X12.  Thanks in advance!

If you are importing a single object from autocad as a 3d symbol there is no way to explode the object to change it's UV mapping. You could use the Delete Surface Tool to tediously delete faces in order to create separate symbols from a singular item. The easier way if you have access is to properly UV map the symbol and re-export to preserve proper mapping,

• Like 1

I’m away from my computer, but as I recall, both 3D DWG and 3D DXF files carry material mapping just fine.  They import as a single material, but the various faces still maintain their unique mapping.  The key though is that all those various faces need to have unique material definitions assigned before exporting.  After importing into Chief you just need to go through and assign the appropriate materials via the material tab or Material Painter.