Multiple floors with varying ceiling heights

kwhitt

I have a house where the first floor level has 3 different ceiling heights.  The second floor rooms have been designed at different elevations over these lower floor ceilings (first image).  When I raise the one of the rooms on the second floor, I am no longer able to change any of the ceiling heights on the first floor.  I get an message in the DBX that states "ceiling values may not be changed as the floor above this room has varying heights" (second image).  I've tried several things and am at this point without a solution.

The house is designed this way and I need to be able to present this in 3D as we've been contracted for a complete renovation of the first and second floors.  I have been extra careful to define my rooms, so that they align with the walls that define the raised portions on the lower floors.  What's the trick here?  Is it possible to have varying ceiling heights in a multiple story structure?  I'd greatly appreciate any tips.  The .plan file has been attached with my progress to date.  Thanks.

cross section.jpg

DBX.jpg

CHF_Cypress Isle_AS-BUILT_09-19-20.zip

9 minutes ago, solver said:

Did you leave out some words?

What room are you changing?

I was looking for a general strategy on how to make this work.  I'm assuming everything needs to be aligned perfectly.  Should I have changed my ceiling heights on the first floor before building the second floor?  The first room I encountered on the second floor (the recreation room) is but one of the rooms that needs to be raised.  Attached is an image of it's position on the second floor.  It is directly over the living room.

rec room.jpg

47 minutes ago, solver said:

That's probably best as there is a Step Floors to Match option, (or something like that) when you build a new floor.

When walls don't align floor to floor, you probably need to draw in some room dividers.

I don't see a problem with the living room/rec room as 2nd floor floor elevations are the same for the rooms over the living room.

Too late now.  I have spent 4 or 5 hours laying out the second floor.  I am finding that I can get it to work if I switch back and forth between the levels and make changes.  As per Steve's suggestion, I am finding it easier to work on the top floor first and then go downstairs with my ceiling changes.

49 minutes ago, SNestor said:

@kwhitt - generally speaking you have to work from top down. 

Steve - you are correct. I am finding I can do it if I work from the second floor first. 

I am running into something else now.  I technically, have three stories in this scenario.  The middle story of which is sandwiched between the main floors one and two - see cross section attached.  The second image is a photo of the actual space.  I was thinking I would use a P-solid to create this ledge (faux floor platform) that projected out onto the first floor; however, I need to have an exterior wall onto which I can place windows.  Got any ideas?

cross section.jpg

image.jpg

18 hours ago, kwhitt said:

Got any ideas?

I had a go at it using the original plan you posted which has only 2 floors.

It's how I'd go at it to begin-

Copied exterior walls and windows of that room from first to second floor, used a railing wall to define the balcony area and set other room to open below... close to picture. I included  generic columns in the railing wall. If it were me I'd try to find a way to get rid of that extra little second floor. No idea where the ceiling height issues are elsewhere, sounded like you had a handle on that.

image.thumb.png.e01aa59afa7b4a824a281ef4e61f3cc4.png

Balcony 1.plan

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MarkMc said:

I had a go at it using the original plan you posted which has only 2 floors.

It's how I'd go at it to begin-

Copied exterior walls and windows of that room from first to second floor, used a railing wall to define the balcony area and set other room to open below... close to picture. I included  generic columns in the railing wall. If it were me I'd try to find a way to get rid of that extra little second floor. No idea where the ceiling height issues are elsewhere, sounded like you had a handle on that.

image.thumb.png.e01aa59afa7b4a824a281ef4e61f3cc4.png

Balcony 1.plan

Thanks Mark.  I'll check out the file tonight.  Appreciate the help.