Is it possible to map/differentiate various electrical circuits?

nematode

Hi. Is it possible to differentiate between various electrical circuits (different colors for example) and how the wire for each circuit is strung? I'd like to create a wiring diagram showing, for example, that Circuit 1 enters the room at Plug A, then travels to Plug B, then branches off to Plug C and to Fixture A, etc. This would be particularly useful if each circuit can be drawn in a different color. This would be with X12.
Thanks.

3 minutes ago, nematode said:

Hi. Is it possible to differentiate between various electrical circuits (different colors for example) and how the wire for each circuit is strung? I'd like to create a wiring diagram showing, for example, that Circuit 1 enters the room at Plug A, then travels to Plug B, then branches off to Plug C and to Fixture A, etc. This would be particularly useful if each circuit can be drawn in a different color. This would be with X12.
Thanks.

This has been covered quite extensively several times in here.  It is possible to do but takes some work.  Try searching the forum for it.

Hi Ryan, thanks for the prompt reply. Prior to posting I ran various searches (on this site and via Google) but nothing on my particular topic came up. Do you happen to recall who posted, or when, or any particular words used in the thread title?
Thanks.

3 hours ago, nematode said:

Hi Ryan, thanks for the prompt reply. Prior to posting I ran various searches (on this site and via Google) but nothing on my particular topic came up. Do you happen to recall who posted, or when, or any particular words used in the thread title?
Thanks.

Sorry just happen to see this.  If you are asking someone a question directly either tag them @nematode or quote them as I am doing here.

I did just a quick search and I believe this particular thread might get you started in the right direction.

• 1 month later...

I'm making progress on having circuits appear in different colors but I've hit a snag. If I understand correctly, the Electrical layer set has three layers: Electrical, Electrical Connections, and Electrical Labels. I created a new layer set ("Electrical new and old") which contains existing wiring and I'm now trying to add the new electrical. I created a copy of the three layer sets listed above and changed the color so that new objects would appear differently (under the Active Layer Display Options tab). I did this thinking that the new objects would be on a new layer with a new color. However, the new objects keep the old color - I can't seem to change the default settings for the new objects. If I place a new object, I can double click on it's properties and assign the new color but the objects always default to the old color. And when I change the default settings to the new color, then ALL the electrical objects change to the new color, new and old. Reviewing the videos and manuals hasn't helped so far.

Any advice is appreciated.

23 minutes ago, nematode said:

I'm making progress on having circuits appear in different colors but I've hit a snag. If I understand correctly, the Electrical layer set has three layers: Electrical, Electrical Connections, and Electrical Labels. I created a new layer set ("Electrical new and old") which contains existing wiring and I'm now trying to add the new electrical. I created a copy of the three layer sets listed above and changed the color so that new objects would appear differently (under the Active Layer Display Options tab). I did this thinking that the new objects would be on a new layer with a new color. However, the new objects keep the old color - I can't seem to change the default settings for the new objects. If I place a new object, I can double click on it's properties and assign the new color but the objects always default to the old color. And when I change the default settings to the new color, then ALL the electrical objects change to the new color, new and old. Reviewing the videos and manuals hasn't helped so far.

Any advice is appreciated.

You need to make sure that the settings for that default is going to the correct layer as you have several and oob they are set to go to electrical or electrical connections layers.

@solver: your red/blue example is spot on. Is this all on the same layer? Were you able to add some electrical objects set to one default color, then switch the default color for subsequent objects without changing the color of the existing objects?

@solver Thanks again. I'm not trying to assign the label to a different layer, I'm trying to change the color of the text from grey to red (it appears grey all the time, not just because it's selected). In any event, would you mind briefly explaining how you were able to change the color of the objects in your example above? I have tried many times and cannot do the same. I understand your objects were all in the same layer, but when I change the defaults it changes the colors of all the objects rather than only those placed subsequently.