2015 For Mac

sarahemeline

Hey!

I'm new here on many fronts, so forgive my initial ignorance.

I'm trying to create a split level with "Home Designer Architectural", but can't seem to get ANYTHING to work properly when it comes to installing stairs.  I've read and followed all existing threads on "split level stairs" or "entry stairs" or "adjusting the foundations" or anything up that avenue, but there are some discrepancies in the instructions that can't be followed through on because I'm working on a Mac (which is apparently a new thing for Chief Architect?)

I either need a 2nd grade level explanation on how to get a stairwell to play nicely with all other floors (from a Mac's point of view) from the livable basement level up through to all the other floors it interacts with

OR

a local contact in the Intermountain West that I can reach via phone, skype, or in person to help me troubleshoot what I can't seem to figure out for myself after months of exhausting my own resources.

Any help out there?

Appreciation in advance.

Cheers,

SM

sarahemeline,

The stair tool draws stairs from the level (floor) you draw them on to the next level or floor above. The stair tool works the same in Home Designer Architectural on a PC or Mac precesely the same, it is identical in function and action in Chief Premier (no difference at all what so ever).

Just try again with that first datum in mind and you will get them to work.

DJP

sarahemeline,

The stair tool draws stairs from the level (floor) you draw them on to the next level or floor above. The stair tool works the same in Home Designer Architectural on a PC or Mac precesely the same, it is identical in function and action in Chief Premier (no difference at all what so ever).

Just try again with that first datum in mind and you will get them to work.

DJP

I'm sorry David,  I believe you are mistaken...according to Chief's own product selection guide/features list there is a notable amount of functionality missing from the HD product line with regard to stairs (except maybe in PRO).

The basics might be the same but many details and options are not.  We've been through this before on another thread.  We spent I don't know how many posts trying to solve a problem that required using a feature the OP couldn't access ( I believe that particular instance had to do with landings).

post-46-0-41070700-1415771176_thumb.png

Michael,

I own and use all Home Designer named titles, versions 6-2015. I own and use actively, versions of Chief 7-X6. In terms of the stair tool there is not enough difference between Home Designer Essentials (their least expensive title) and X6 in terms of function and features (Home Designer Pro and Chief Permier Lite, Interiors and Full version have a few more check boxes and inputs but otherwise they are identically programmed whether on a Mac or PC). I know what I am talking about since I make it part of my business to know so.  I was not expressing an opinion but rather a fact.

DJP

With all due respect, I was also expressing a matter of fact. I just don't want other HD users to get the wrong idea. Your statements are a little misleading. There ARE differences between the 2 products with regard to stair construction.

As I said, we have been through this before (and I might add you also acknowledged the differences in the specific thread I'm alluding to).  An excerpt:

"...Custom Stairs must be done methodically and carefully with lots of checking to make sure they are behaving properly, it requires patience and a plodding manner to do...

BTW, this video would only apply to Home Designer Pro or Chief Architect Premier X5 only, it does NOT apply to any other Home Designer titles like you have which have no such custom landing abilities.

DJP"

I just don't think its a good idea to head down this road. There's really no benefit of letting HD users think the programs are going to be the same. A couple posts in we may end up talking about breaking a landing and voila...a communication breakdown and a potential confusing mess. Not good for anyone.

There's a good reason for having 2 separate forums. That's all I'm saying.

• 4 months later...

I would like some feed back…. on the last version I upgraded to was Version 8. I have been told I get no credit for an upgrade because of how old my last version is. So, I was told that the HD Pro has more features than the old version 8 and if thats true I can settle for that as I am proficient with it. Probably the most concern I would have is with completing roofs, layout and printing.

Also I have Room Planner on my IPad and it is not like CA …. are there plans to make it more like CA? I want draw on the IPad in the field as easy as I do in the office.

Then one more issue….I moved to a Mac and is the HD Pro well tested to run on a mac?

Any thoughts?

Hal