Change 2D CAD object to 3D?

DeltaHome

I have drawn the following (rebar stirrups and longitudinal bars which go inside a concrete grade beam):

image.thumb.png.96be73bc7e19b2943424eff0851c08a5.png

It is ok, but I would like to create a 3D Elevation as well.  Something like this:

image.png.b12697376ced990b383dedf80a3b1565.png

I looked in Help and couldn't find anything.

It seems to me that I could:

1. Tediously draw in 2D CAD the stirrups at an angle and then add the longitudinal bars?

2. Maybe I could import the picture somehow and "ray trace" it?  And then mod it to represent my particular stirrup/bar configuration?

(I fooled around and couldn't get ray to trace an imported picture...)

3. Use some part of CA Premiere (currently unknown to me) to convert my 2D CAD drawings of the stirrups above into a 3D CAD and then mod the resulting 3D CAD to represent my particular stirrup/bar configuration?

I have researched, and I can't figure out how is the best way to accomplish this task.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

11 minutes ago, DeltaHome said:

Tediously draw in 2D CAD the stirrups at an angle and then add the longitudinal bars?

Molding polyline in plan view, set to size, convert to symbol, advanced options, rotate 90 degrees on Y axis (if orientation is not good then also X axis.

Place symbol, multiple copy, set interval-drag to desired distance.

Similar treatement for longitudinal bars except rotate on X axis. Did this waiting for a layout to update.

image.thumb.png.84e29af7e1a75e9126d178b65d17bd92.pngimage.thumb.png.91fcae713b4dbf1f604f74c24a81f943.png

Got it.  Interesting you cannot get to Trim>Molding Polyline from CAD Detail.

So do you guys do various *.plan files for one project and then copy paste them into your master *.plan file?

Think of my brain with an infinitely rolling blue circle right now . . .  Will be back, hopefully soon.

The key here is to think in terms of 3D Objects.  Chief doesn't have any conversion of 2D CAD to 3D other than converting parallel lines to walls and converting a Polyline to a Polyline Solid or Molding Polyline.

If you model the stirrups as 3D objects and save as a Symbol you can then save & replicate them as needed.

Thank you to all for the detail of the tree, and thank you to Joe_Carrick for a view of the forest.

Unfortunately I have not been able to replicate the detail path originally suggested by MarkMc, so for now I have moved on to other parts of the project.

However, I am determined to master this create 3D symbol thing.

But I might just use robdyck's rebar symbol when I return to this part of the drawings.

In the meantime, there is a blue cheerio constantly rolling in the back of my mind...

• 1 year later...

I'm a commercial concrete mason and I have been playing around with 2D CAD details for a long time.  You guys are pretty amazing and your informative replies are much appreciated.  I will be submitting much nicer shop drawings in less time.  Thank you