Time Tracker

RobUSMC

Is there a way to run a time report to show how much time has been put into a plan by different designers?  Designer 1 is X, Designer 2 is Y.

Also when I try to view the time from one date to another (Start to end) I select the start date but when I then select the end date the start date also changes to whatever end date I have selected.  (See the attached screenshot) 

Time Tracker.jpg

2 minutes ago, RobUSMC said:

I didn't know if there was a better way to quickly look at the time versus exporting a complete report then formatting into a usable spreadsheet

I use a little program called Legal Billing from chaossoftware. It interfaces with their PIM Intellect, which includes email, or with Time & Chaos which doesn't include email but also available as a free version which works. It has a staff field among others. The programs are inexpensive and lifetime license and have trial versions. I've been using Intellect for over a decade legal billing for a few years. I also sync both between machines and Intellect to my phone. Originally had a Blackberry so had to use Chaoshost to sync, still do since it's easy and familiar but there are other sync options)

The only down sides are you have to start/stop/pause the timer manually (I start it by habit right a way, keep on second screen and set to "always on top")

and since it is originally designed for lawyers the default field that I use for Project is listed as Matter. Easily changed in the ini file (highlights in the screen shot)

The advantages are you can easily track time across multiple files for a project, can adjust the time listing if you forgot to pause or turn on, exports to multiple formats, can control which of the columns shown are exported and export based on date. I have a spreadsheet template for invoices that matches the fields I export which makes invoicing a breeze. It also helps to remember to make entries for payments.

image.thumb.png.a350af3bcdb0eb6dcf638677550573c6.png

34 minutes ago, RobUSMC said:

The csv did work but has to be totally reformatted to move into Excel.  I didn't know if there was a better way to quickly look at the time versus exporting a complete report then formatting into a usable spreadsheet

You can always save file, open the plan back up, delete all entries you want excluded from your calculations, get the total you need, and then close the plan without saving.

OR

Delete all entries you want excluded from your calculations, get the total you need, and then hit Cancel.

3 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

The formatting is almost impossible to work with.

You are right this would have to be a VBA Macro to parse this..... 

September 14, 2020 1:07:15 AM,September 14, 2020 1:18:47 AM,00:11:32,BT, SomeText

It should have been tab separated and like "2020-09-14 1:07:15 AM", or at least quoted, or may be XML or Json. Currently with two commas only VBA cann get this

I do not understand why field that contains "," separators are not quoted during CSV exports

Well why don't some one makes a suggestion, see if @Dermot comment on this....

With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection ....

It's definitely a little tricky to import usable data from the Time Tracker into Excel.  Here's a free starter kit though for anyone who can make use of it.  Just import your text data with cell A2 selected>comma delimited.

Time Tracker Export Starter Kit.xlsx

NOTE: If your User field or Note field contain a comma, this starter kit likely won't work for you.  I would recommend just keeping commas out of those fields.

• 1 year later...
On 9/16/2020 at 11:38 AM, Alaskan_Son said:

It's definitely a little tricky to import usable data from the Time Tracker into Excel.  Here's a free starter kit though for anyone who can make use of it.  Just import your text data with cell A2 selected>comma delimited.

Time Tracker Export Starter Kit.xlsx 24.28 MB · 183 downloads

NOTE: If your User field or Note field contain a comma, this starter kit likely won't work for you.  I would recommend just keeping commas out of those fields.

Sweet Baby Jesus your a lifesaver......I was about to call my ex-wife that's an excel pro to figure this out. THANK YOU! The Chief Talk community is the best!

Jon

Self-made Threadripper, 64gb ram, GTX 1080ftw2, 3x500gb ssd

On 5/9/2022 at 9:13 AM, Dermot said:

This is an old post.  For what it's worth, the export format was fixed in X13.

I am not sure why Chief can't export the Total Hours though , or export the Duration Hours in a format Excel understands without jumping through Hoops to get the Total......

*****  For those with multiple people on the Team make sure each User has filled in their

Time Tracker Options in Preferences, i.e. I use initials.

M.

I am not sure why Chief can't export the Total Hours though , or export the Duration Hours in a format Excel understands without jumping through Hoops to get the Total......

It's because no one has ever asked us to.

2 hours ago, Dermot said:

It's because no one has ever asked us to.

Oh wow..... would of thought that was a no-brainer ...... so never thought to make a feature request for it ...I assumed it was some limitation....

M.

3 hours ago, RobUSMC said:

It would be nice those of us that charge by the hour and can be used for billing purposes

Feature Request made ........ if you'd like to add to it.....

M.