How to cut a hole in a p'line solid?

GeneDavis

10 minutes ago, glennw said:

Or...another way.

Select the polysolid in elevation.

On the Edit menu select Solid Feature and then draw the hole.

Reshape the hole. 

Yes.  I also think its worth noting that you must select the appropriate face before making effective use of the Solid Feature, Extrude, or Revolve tools. 

6 minutes ago, solver said:

Doesn't that convert the polyline solid to a solid?

In X12 there are lots of things that will easily convert a p-solid to a solid.  Simply editing the extrusion shape to anything other than a rectangle along any axis other than than the axis it was created on do it as well.

5 minutes ago, solver said:

And some/many/most may not know it's happening.

I suppose a popup warning with the option to Don't Show This Message Again might help the unaware.  It also helps to just encourage people to use the appropriate tools and means of learning the software in the first place though.

3 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

What do you mean by this?  By very definition a polyline can only be drawn/edited on a single 2D plane. 

I was not really concerned with what it is called or how it is defined, just a 3D object that can be edited on any face in any view rather than a single extruded face.

2 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

I was not really concerned with what it is called or how it is defined, just a 3D object that can be edited on any face in any view rather than a single extruded face.

I think you just need to start using the boolean operations on "SOLIDS".  That allows much greater flexibility on how 2 solids are added, combined or subtracted.  PSolids IMO are great for limited extrusions but once you want more complex 3D shapes you really need to use full 3D Solids.