3D Moulding (Polyline) Unusual Behavior

CJSpud

Hi:

I have been running into some unusual behavior when trying to place a 3D moulding across the front of a model.  The front of the model has a jog in it.  I want the 3D moulding to be placed on the two front walls as well as the jogged wall.  I want the bottom of the moulding to be 36" above the floor 0 level and extruded to the outside.  What I am running into is that the moulding is displaying correctly on the left (top) wall as well as on the jogged wall but for the right (top) wall, the moulding is at -36" elevation and is upside down with the outside facing inwards and the back side facing outwards.  The way I drew the was I started it out away from the walls drawing from left to right, then down for the jog, then to the right again.  All sections are connected as one 3D moulding polyline.  The foundation hasn't been built so you can easily see how the problem segment has built.  The moulding is a sloped profile for a cap over the stone. 

The plan is included as well as some images showing the problem.  If anyone has any ideas what is going on and how to fix this issue, I would appreciate it.  I wasn't able to get any satisfactory help from TS so, before sending it in, I thought I'd post it here first just in case others have run into this issue before.  Thanks for looking into this.

moulding3DView.JPG

moulding2DCornerView.JPG

mouldingXSecOK.JPG

mouldingXSecWrong.JPG

MoldingProblem_X12.plan

I started with a 3d moulding polyline because I initially tried putting the stone and the cap on the wall as a 2-part 3d moulding polyline.  After running into issues with the stone not showing when cutting out for windows (and doors), I realized a different approach was needed.  So then I just switched to using pony walls to get the stone on the bottoms of the walls and kept using the 3d moulding polyline for the cap.  Perhaps that wasn't so wise a move.  Will a moulding line behave properly?  I will test that.

3 hours ago, CJSpud said:

Eric:

Thanks ... that works much better.  Not sure why 3d moulding is messed up on the 3rd wall segment.  I would think it would behave the same as the moulding PL.  Any ideas why it doesn't?

Curt - you probably have this solved...but, my quick video may help someone;  https://www.loom.com/share/e0873412ed554df9b7cb90ee1feb35de

With a pony wall...the easiest and quickest way is to add a "wall cap" molding. You can create your own sill shaped molding in a few seconds and then use it as the wall cap.  

I also occasionally use them for oddball things like creating these chimney braces...

Brackets.thumb.jpg.70527a02134cccc9f0502211c65fe93e.jpg

...where I want a specific profile that can be adjusted in 3D to sit at an off angle along multiple axis.  As others have stated, they can definitely be a bear to work with at times though...even when you get good at them. 

More than anything though, even if you don't have a specific use at the moment, I find that it pays to know the tools you have available to you and to try to practice with them whenever you can.  You never need most of them...right up until you need them that is, and when you do need them, it's awesome to not only know what they are and where they are, but also how to use them.