Shed Dormers Question

chiefnewbie

Hi all,

My first time posting on the forum so bear with me if I forget to provide enough information/details to make answering my question easier.

I saw an old cape code house in one of my favorite homebuilding magazines and I tried reproducing the roof lines in CA8.  However, I can not get the two shed dormers to join at the valley of two intersecting gable roofs.  I've tried several of the different methods of making shed dormers found here and on youtube.  The attached file is where I tried exploding the auto floating dormers and manipulating the individual pieces... all with little to no success.  

Appreciate the help in advance.  

Double Shed Dormer.plan

Dormer.JPG

If you are trying to use the shed dormer tool, it is NOT programmed to do what you show in your posted image. That you will have to do manually only in ANY version of Chief. I guess, to save time you could place two shed dormers and carefully align them in terms of X & Y&Z locations and then "Explode them" and then manually edit the roofs and walls of the exploded dormers.

DJP

6 hours ago, joey_martin said:

Simply cut a hole in your roof to let those upper floor walls come up and add a shed roof to them so that you have more control over the roof.

7 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

If you are trying to use the shed dormer tool, it is NOT programmed to do what you show in your posted image. That you will have to do manually only in ANY version of Chief. I guess, to save time you could place two shed dormers and carefully align them in terms of X & Y&Z locations and then "Explode them" and then manually edit the roofs and walls of the exploded dormers.

DJP

DavidJPotter & joey_martin,

Thanks for your prompt replies.  I've cut the holes in the roof as recommended and I'm getting much better results.  Thanks for the help.

Shawn

7 hours ago, chiefnewbie said:

Hi all,

My first time posting on the forum so bear with me if I forget to provide enough information/details to make answering my question easier.

I saw an old cape code house in one of my favorite homebuilding magazines and I tried reproducing the roof lines in CA8.  However, I can not get the two shed dormers to join at the valley of two intersecting gable roofs.  I've tried several of the different methods of making shed dormers found here and on youtube.  The attached file is where I tried exploding the auto floating dormers and manipulating the individual pieces... all with little to no success.  

Appreciate the help in advance.  

Double Shed Dormer.plan

Dormer.JPG

I made you a quick "how to" video. Really no need for a "hole" for this type dormer...well, sometimes you need it but not for this example. 

Here's the video:  https://www.loom.com/share/0fe61885ab9e42a9bfd2b42b9a376eb8

Check you my YouTube page...I have a number of "dormer" videos: