Break and remove/delete 3d molding

stevenyhof

I tried adding a 3 sided 3d molding to my garage opening for trim around the brick (what the client wants). but it seems to be snapping to different surfaces and gets funny, so I made a 3d molding polyline - worked perfectly for the front arch top windows. So I thought to do the same for the garage door and then just break and delete the bottom. But is there a way to break a polyline in two places and delete what you don't want?

2.jpg

1 minute ago, Renerabbitt said:

Happy to help, Is there a reason you aren't taking advantage of the built in exterior casing? especially on the windows?

Yes, I did add the casing to the side of the window in the window DBX. But I needed an additional casing to go over the brick. I did look and try some of the options to get the casing to span over the brick but nothing I tried worked. I do have a 1" casing on the window, and then a 5.5" casing over the brick. (which is just a square 4" x 5.5"

3 minutes ago, SNestor said:

Steve - Made you a quick video...https://www.loom.com/share/a66bec5e5b9840bc82164455062a2647

Thank you Steve! That was very helpful! I did add a thickness at one point, but it just got really thick on the outside, so I must need to mess with some of the options to get that to work. But I like the options you are also showing here.

@stevenyhof - I think the 3D molding polyline tool is almost impossible to work with...so time consuming trying to figure out how the molding will lay on the polyline...placing it just so. Just use a casing and move on to the next item...that's my strategy. 

One more way you could accomplish what you want.  You could make a CAD Detail From View of the window. Trace the shape with a polyline in the CDFV...then copy it, paste and hold position on the elevation and covert it to a 3D molding polyline and attach the molding you want to use. It's still a bit cumbersome...but there you go, many ways to get what you need.

• Like 1

Just now, Renerabbitt said:

@SNestor was right..didn't need to recess, but wanted to mention it in case it was easiest and 100% accuracy wasn't necessary. His stacked molding was what I would do. basically how I would built it in the field.

I will mess with it as I want to learn how to do everything. Thank you guys!