Porch walls not showing in Floor Zero reference

PMMully

I am doing the porch tutorial and I draw the porch with the half wall, all good. But when I go to level 0 to put the foundation walls in I see no room. The porch has the room type of porch, the 4" slab floor, and renders in the 3D, so that part seems normal. I can not see the red ref line and attach the foundation wall to the wall above. I know its a setting somewhere, maybe I messed up the half wall defaults but I checked and it looks good. Thanks in advance.

Two things;

1st - railing walls are usually not set to be "bearing walls"...so, open the railing dialogue box (DBX) and check the box on the structure tab...like Eric has suggested above. 

2nd - You will need to open your "reference layer set" and make sure the "railing walls" layer is checked. You can get to the reference layer by double clicking the floor number. This will open a DBX called the "change floor/reference".  Then click the "define" next to the "reference layer set"...

This will open the layer set and allow you to define the layers you want on or off.

2020-09-12_19-01-32.thumb.png.6e654146ddee03d2db9aca23f77bad56.png2020-09-12_19-02-35.thumb.png.b9e8f25fd6402ba50b2df15a3797e75d.png

I took all the suggestions and learned several things. Per the tutorial, I went back and in my half wall selection on the lower part and I missed the part about Stone-6. After that, the reference lines show up on Floor 0. However, when I draw the foundation walls, I never get the "Align to wall above" button to show. In Floor 1 it shows it as porch, so that is good, but even though the reference lines are there, it can not find it, nor can I select on the room to set the stem wall defaults.

This is very specific to page 117 of the tutorial so I understand if its hard to see this in action.

3 hours ago, PMMully said:

However, when I draw the foundation walls, I never get the "Align to wall above" button to show.

You won't see this IF the walls are already aligned, ie they snapped properly when drawn ....

OR if more than 1/2 the wall width out of alignment, in which case Chief assumes the mis-alignment was deliberate. ( would be noticeable in 3D views though.)

as Eric mentioned , add some pics ( Use Windows Snipping Tool ) or even better the Plan file for better help/answers....

M.

I see what happened here, many hours spent on a small topic but its burned in now. The key was only one wall showed the alignment tool, the other was aligned. So I kept looking at the wrong wall and not seeing the tool. Looked this AM, selected the other wall, and presto, it was there and functioned perfectly. @Kbird1this goes back to your post.

The only thing I can not still do is set the stem wall height as described on page 118. The "room" is not selectable on Level 0, only in Level 1 (noted as a room type of Porch). But the stem wall piece is grayed out. I am sure it is me :-), so far all the documentation has been spot on. I just can't see it.

Edited by PMMully
more info

I don't know what stem wall height you want or how the porch tutorial is telling you to do it, but I set the foundation to "auto rebuild" and selected "Create Wall/Footing Below" in the railing walls Structure tab. Then I could set the stem wall height to whatever I want.

Not sure what version that tutorial is in but this control is relatively new. Watch the version number of the program the tutorials are using, many are out of date.

1650351130_ScreenShot2020-09-15at7_54_25AM.thumb.png.06571cf0ffd4c8f9b9659ca3d86bdbb0.png

2064475965_ScreenShot2020-09-15at7_55_10AM.thumb.png.66077a2acd202c6dab959f02c169c2c7.png

755903656_ScreenShot2020-09-15at7_55_22AM.thumb.png.ff565bab83547eb1c5e7c2ac34f52174.png