Living Area Label - some floors yes, others no

SNestor

FYI..I have run plan check (multiple times).:blink:

My Living Area Label appears on my 1st and 2nd floors...but, not on the 3rd floor and not on the basement level. Yes...the room types on all floors are checked to be "use default" included.

I've also turned on all labels and text layers to see if it's hiding somewhere. It isn't. 

I've experimented with a test plan...and I get the label on all floors. So...it's something with this plan I'm working in.

Is it just a Chief "Gremlin"...or the more likely probability - user error? 

PLAN ATTACHED: 

Living Area Label Issue 20-0912.plan.zip

21 minutes ago, robdyck said:

FWIW, I use my own living area label and it appears in the exact same spot on every floor. That way I don't have to worry about if Chief wants to play nicely.

Yea...there's always another way in Chief...and your suggestion of course saves time and frustration. And...who really want's to deal with this type of crap-ola. 

But still...why is it happening. Inquiring minds want to know.

I'm still sticking with "user error". I've screwed something up somewhere. 

I deleted all the living area labels, and they don't 'rebuild' even though they're still on in the plan defaults. I have to open plan defaults, turn it off, close the dbx, then turn them on. Then, it only display on the first floor. Very odd, which is why for 20 years I've had that POS turned OFF. It takes so long trying to figure out WTH is going on when you can just rely on your own living area label. This simple label on each floor means you'll NEVER have to worry about this crap again. 

At any rate, I'd send it to tech support to see why it doesn't behave correctly.

image.thumb.png.d54d11b8a7df8e3741bc2fcf6490c457.png

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I think you've Chief's brain all tied in knots with so many saved plan views!

You think I have too many...you've never seen a @dshall plan. :o

Most of the SPV's are to send to layout. I really only use the "working plan" and the "roof plan" SPV to draw plans. And...the plan view that is "MLO" is for dimensioning. I like to have nothing but the main layer on when I'm manually dimensioning. Nothing like clicking on to the siding or veneer to make you even crazier than when you start...

• Like 1

Sorry Steve, I'm no help. However I have noticed a few things: It seems that if the label is deleted, there is some sort of built-in memory related to the room. Just like if you specify a room type, then delete everything and later rebuild a room in the same location, Chief remembers what it was. I think the same thing is going on with the LA label. 

Example: if I have the default LA label off, then draw 4 walls to create a separate building, the LA label will not display even if I turn the default back on. However, once it is back on, if I draw 4 wall to creat another separate building, the it will get a LA label. So..I think the LA label got deleted at some point and Chief remembers it. This also makes sense because for interior rooms we have a toggle to show the room label. The exterior is also a room but without the dialog box and show room label setting.

@rgardner Thanks for that tip...not sure why that works.

So...I changed my 3rd floor room from "unspecified"...to "attic". Ran plan check...and boom, the living area label appears.  Change room back to "unspecified"...and the label updated to show the area SF.  

I wonder where I can find this explained in the X12 Manual...:blink:

Thanks again Rob!

5 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I ran plan check and the LA label appeared when I re-aligned the stairwell walls on the right side...3rd floor.

Thanks for catching that Rob...

Still..I can't get the LA label to appear on the basement level. I thought it might be because I didn't have a stairwell up the the main level...but, I've now added the stair and still cannot get the LA label to appear on the basement level. 

Just now, solver said:

This is a pain, but has always worked.

Copy/Paste into a new plan.

Create a Template from the problem plan, deleting everything but Extra Floors.

Edit Area All Floors to select/copy, then Paste Hold Position into the new plan.

Yea...no thanks. I'll just use a text box. 

Just now, SNestor said:

You're kidding right?  That is the same wall I'm using on the front of the house on the main level. 

Nope, that's what I did and then it popped up. I closed the file and tried it again (to isolate the exact operation) and now that ain't doing it. I'll get it shortly...

12 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Nope, that's what I did and then it popped up. I closed the file and tried it again (to isolate the exact operation) and now that ain't doing it. I'll get it shortly...

I can offer a sledge hammer...and some dynamite if needed.

1 hour ago, BrownTiger said:

So no biggie, all unfinished space will not have a living area label

Not quite BT...when you deleted the front wall of the porch foundation...the LA label appeared...but, as soon as you reconnect the walls the label disappears. I also checked the basement area to be included in the "total living area calculation"...so, this area should be included automatically...but it isn't. I also tried by changing the basement room to "kitchen"...no luck. I don't think it has anything to do with the room type. 

But...I did use your technique and I did get the LA label to appear.

- I drew 4 interior walls inside the basement room.  The label appeared. I deleted the 4 walls and the the label remained. 

WELL...NOT QUITE. It's inconsistent. Not sure of anything now...