Sip Roof Panels on Top of Exposed Rafters

Barnyardo

Hello folks

I just upgraded to Chief X12. Steep curve for me, still trying to wrap my head around the plan view/layer set, but I'm struggling.

I have been trying to generate a roof structure with exposed 4x10 rafters @ 4' oc, exposed plank soffit on the over hangs and 5/8" drywall on the interior vaulted ceiling. On top of that layer will be 1 1/8" ply to which  the drywall will screw up into. So far I've composed this on the structural layer. On top of that (built on the ceiling surface layer) is the  5.5' closed cell foam/EPS  capped by the sheathing, membrane and standing seam roof.
 I tried manually drawing the rafters and using a regular 2x6 framing to house the closed cell foam but the framing would not generate around the rafters and it would have taken a lot of work.  So decided on the rafters on the structural layer leaving  me with(or so I thought) the lesser task of inserting manually drawn frieze boards/ blocking at the top of the walls. (Since it is not apparent that Chief is able to generate those automatically, only at the outer perimeter overhangs). In Chief, the space between the rafters is usually filled with insulation and sheet rock applied underneath to form a vaulted ceiling. Those frieze boards and drywall nail blocking would be generated automatically and that would suffice, but today's modern SIP panel construction for both roofs and walls, are composed such that they need both frieze boards and blocking to be generated at the top of the wall,  which it appears thus far, Chief Architect cannot do. Hence the attempt to manually draw the frieze boards and blocking, as the roof structure and surface layer will only generate on the perimeter eaves and rakes. 
Please see the attached drawing for a breakdown of the layers. If there is a way to simplify or achieve this through Chief Architect, I would appreciate it if you could let me know. 
I've attached a video  demonstrating what happens to the frieze board manipulation which takes foreveeeer (and sometimes never) to get in place and maintain the correct roof pitch. Please inform me if this is a bug or not. If there an easier or different way to do this, or if there is a work around to create this type of roof. I am trying to maximize automation and minimize unnecessary cad drawing.
Okay thanks for your time and appreciate any input you might have.
Bernard

2020-09-11_172442.png

Hi Chopsaw

Thanks for the reply. 

So are you suggesting using rafters for the frieze boards and also for the drywall nailers between the 4x10 rafters? And for that matter the frieze board going up the gable end walls. 
I’ll give it a go in the morning and let you know. The blocking between the rafters are pretty straight forward. It’s just the pitched frieze board that wants to go off pitch willy nilly. Maybe I’ll try copying the rake board over for that and do the blocking on the too plates to see how that works too. 

It would still be nice to have those auto generated, seeing as this has become a prevalent form of construction for quite some time now.  
Thanks again for the work around tip. 
Bernard

I think I had some of the same issues a year(s) back, when I tried to model, SIP over rafters. [ I gave up on that model, my staff are not really for building in the real world. ]  

I did SIP as a finish layer, and 4x10s rafters as a structural layer with exposed rafter ties. Software framed structural layer perfectly, sip was good, but frieze and blocking never worked correctly. Frieze board did not generate, but it can be placed in cross section. Blocking never worked. I think I used soffit & rafter to cover up the holes.

2D appeared correct.

Hi Chopsaw and Brown Tiger

Well I tried the Rafter for the pitched frieze board and that work pretty good. Then I tried the same tool for the blocking but it just carried through on the rafters, which looks okay but technically is incorrect. So I tried the blocking tool and as long as it had a rafter to snap t, it worked great. It's a lot easier to align the edge for the sheet rock in one pull as opposed to using the rafter tool which then had to align on at the edge of the plate for each and every rafter. 

So I'd say this is a good work around CA's inability to generate these boards. Of course, then I decided to change the pitch for fun which messed it all up and had to start all over again.(lucky it was a copy).

Thanks you everyone for the input.

Bernard