Deck border boards

ChiefRaber

Hey everyone,

I'm a fairly new user of Chief 12x and we do a lot of deck builds. Almost all of our decks have border boards and usually it is a different color then the rest of deck. When drawing on chief I can't seem to do that. Is there a way to make the border boards a different color then the rest of the deck boards?

Another way if you want something a bit more complicated is to open the dbx for the Deck room and uncheck "Automatically regenerate deck framing" and check "Keep deck framing after the deck room is deleted".

Drag one of the railing walls back to break the room definition (or you could check No Room Definition).

Drag the rail  back to recreate the room definition (or uncheck No Room Definition).

Open the room dbx and uncheck Floor Under This Room.

This will now allow you to paint or change the material of any decking plank - not just the boarders. 

What this does is create a deck room without any floor platform.

It uses the retained floor platform from the previously created and deleted deck. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 10.00.36 am.png

42 minutes ago, ChiefRaber said:

My border planks don't show up in materials list, so changing material changes the whole deck. Is there a way to make them list separately.

I may be wrong on this but I think you would group select them in plan or 3d view and change the material to the individual boards... @joey_martin Am I correct that is how you did it?