12 x crash no saves

DianeP

I was working on this plan since I installed the CA x12 update yesterday.  I had it on save every 5 minutes.  It crashed and there are no archived plans to work on since 10:35 am yesterday.  Now I have to go back and try to remember all the changes I made.  I was nearly done with it!   Grrrrrrr!  Frustrated.

Auto save and archiving are two separate functions. They are set in the preferences. I believe the default for archiving is once a day, you can set it to hourly. If your system crashes then the auto save may not help as the crash may have resulted in the saved plan being corrupted. As such, the archives are your only way to get your plan back.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Auto save and archiving are two separate functions. They are set in the preferences. I believe the default for archiving is once a day, you can set it to hourly. If your system crashes then the auto save may not help as the crash may have resulted in the saved plan being corrupted. As such, the archives are your only way to get your plan back.

I wonder if i set this for the last save, would it use the last autosave as the archive?

image.thumb.png.53bd664409e29d40ba60816e14474a90.png

Just now, DianeP said:

I wonder if i set this for the last save, would it use the last autosave as the archive?

I assume it will. The only thing to consider is the total number of files you are going to have, as each archive save is a separate independent plan file you will really start to eat into your drive space if you are auto saving every 5 minutes.

1 minute ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

I assume it will. The only thing to consider is the total number of files you are going to have, as each archive save is a separate independent plan file you will really start to eat into your drive space if you are auto saving every 5 minutes.

Gotcha.  Is there a way to find the autosave files?  Are they stored on the computer in another location?

3 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

There is only one auto save file, the main one you are working on. if you are using a cloud system such as OneDrive you might be able to get it back from the cloud.

I do, but I don't know if it updates files that are open.  I will check One Drive to see.  UPDATE:  I looked, last one uploaded was 23 hrs ago which is the one I have now.  Won't upload open files, evidently.

4 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

With OneDrive open in your browser select recent files, find your plan file in the list, click on it and in the menu bar at the top select version history. It should then show a list of previous versions.

Thanks for the info.  I looked that way as well and it was the older version since I had the file open working on it.  Oh well, I have started redoing my work.  Thanks for reminding me to set the archive preferences so I won't have this happen again.  I think they should add that to the list they give us to make sure certain things are done before we install the update. /They tell us to make sure we have backed up our work.  They could also tell us to be sure to reset our archive preference when we get done.

I've learned that without a manual 'save' during plan creation that archives are not automatically created. I've also learned I don't understand the process - at all - and only occasionally get an archive file that actually helps. Frustrating.

Not sure about OneDrive but DropBox has a version history feature (looks like Graham has confirmed OneDrive's feature above) but that might also require a 'save' at some point to ensure it's current enough to be of any use.

Also Carbonite has a continual backup that can be useful for version history and has saved my bacon a couple times which is huge in my book.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DianeP said:

Thanks for the info.  I looked that way as well and it was the older version since I had the file open working on it.  Oh well, I have started redoing my work.  Thanks for reminding me to set the archive preferences so I won't have this happen again.  I think they should add that to the list they give us to make sure certain things are done before we install the update. /They tell us to make sure we have backed up our work.  They could also tell us to be sure to reset our archive preference when we get done.

Diane, not exactly sure but a manual 'save' might be part of the archiving strategy. I called tech support regarding this issue, and it's been a while, but I think I remember that being important as I had a bad/older plan file with no archives even though I thought I set up prefs to create them automatically. Made no sense at the time as the implication from the pref's etc. is that archive will be created 'automatically' but not so sure. Can anyone confirm?

• Upvote 1

I

1 minute ago, HumbleChief said:

Diane, not exactly sure but a manual 'save' might be part of the archiving strategy. I called tech support regarding this issue, and it's been a while, but I think I remember that being important as I had a bad/older plan file with no archives even though I thought I set up prefs to create them automatically. Made no sense at the time as the implication from the pref's etc. is that archive will be created 'automatically' but not so sure. Can anyone confirm?

I have always had several archives that were available to choose from before the update.  Not sure if it was one every hour, though.  I think they have a maximum you can set and then maybe they get over written when it gets to that point???

4 minutes ago, DianeP said:

I

I have always had several archives that were available to choose from before the update.  Not sure if it was one every hour, though.  I think they have a maximum you can set and then maybe they get over written when it gets to that point???

I believe CA will store an unlimited number of archive files but after 16 it will show a pop up that asks if you wish to manage them.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HumbleChief said:

Here's the help file, but I still find it quite confusing. Auto Save auto saves but you should manually save any way? And a file is auto saved only if you have saved it previously? Confusing to me but maybe that's why I was told to 'save' to get auto save to save automatically?

I believe you need to do a manual save first so CA has a file name and path in order to do the auto save. When you open/create a new plan there is no save path until you do your first save. Once this is done then auto save can do it's thing.

• Upvote 2

Yes the File must be given a Name , ie always 1st thing on opening a New Plan for a Project give it the Clients name ( Or whatever) then Chief will start making Autosaves and Archive etc.......NEVER work in a Plan that says UNTITLED.............. I also learn that the hard way :) 

The reminder for Archives will popup around 16-18 files as the Chief default is 14,  however I have mine set at 22 to see less of that annoying popup :)

Diane......Updates , don't usually reset Preferences , so the settings that were there should not have changed  unless you mean you went from X11-X12 ?

Chief does acknowledge unexpected closures with no save option given  , I've seen it myself and with Clients on both PC and MAC.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03049/troubleshooting-chief-architect-software-closing-unexpectedly-on-windows.html

M.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Yes the File must be given a Name , ie always 1st thing on opening a New Plan for a Project give it the Clients name ( Or whatever) then Chief will start making Autosaves and Archive etc.......NEVER work in a Plan that says UNTITLED.............. I also learn that the hard way :) 

The reminder for Archives will popup around 16-18 files as the Chief default is 14,  however I have mine set at 22 to see less of that annoying popup :)

Diane......Updates , don't usually reset Preferences , so the settings that were there should not have changed  unless you mean you went from X11-X12 ?

Chief does acknowledge unexpected closures with no save option given  , I've seen it myself and with Clients on both PC and MAC.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03049/troubleshooting-chief-architect-software-closing-unexpectedly-on-windows.html

M.

It was changed somehow on mine.  I did the update around 10:00 yesterday morning and before that I had several .plans archive folders. I had 4 on the 10th which were all done before I did the update.   Today I have changed the preference back to archive every hour.  I had one at 10:17 but now that one is gone and I have one at 11:26 am.  I'm not sure what happened or is happening. (¯\_()_/¯)

image.thumb.png.0732f346095e1c3e34423dd0b77b361c.png

image.thumb.png.f45bd273a5b0c490a74b6892dc22e6f7.png