This is interesting, anybody seen this?

dshall

6 minutes ago, dshall said:

My client got this and there was even floor plans of both floors.  Not sure how that was obtained,

From their website: 

"We don’t visit your home to make measurements, but you can provide us rough sketch and we can recreate your floor plan in PDF- digital version.
Please send us all of information you have for prepare your floor plan, and we will provide you quote."

4 hours ago, dshall said:

I have not tried it.  they do it without a site visit.  My client got this and there was even floor plans of both floors.  Not sure how that was obtained,

So, apparently they do it by guessing based on information provided by someone who doesn't know what they are doing. These drawings might be okay for starting a discussion with a client, but it would scare the heck out of me to design anything for a permit based on these non-educated guesses. The drawings have a very deceptive appearance of precision.

Personally, I would look at Magicplan.app, used with an iPad Pro (with LiDAR). You can scan a single room in under a minute with all door/window openings shown reasonably accurately. It draws everything in 3D and draws all this automatically for you with dimensions, from which you can then export a DXF file to import into Chief. If you want even more accuracy (which isn't that bad with LiDAR), you can use this in conjunction with a Bluetooth laser measuring device. AND take integrated photos with notes. 

• Like 1

No,  the assessors plat is unreadable,  the original plot was 50x105,  it is a corner lot where they closed a portion of one street and the ROW was 60’ AFTER the closure,  some of the closure went to lot which increased the size but it was an easement with a subeasement in there and in 1961 some added a detached garage in ROW an d 3’ from curb with a pending remove garage out of ROW order and it is Thursday today....  so the answer is no,  I would like a survey or at least a civil engineer to interpret the written Minho jumbo that describes said lot.

it is La Jolla,  we can afford to do it right.

11 hours ago, dshall said:

No,  the assessors plat is unreadable,  the original plot was 50x105,  it is a corner lot where they closed a portion of one street and the ROW was 60’ AFTER the closure,  some of the closure went to lot which increased the size but it was an easement with a subeasement in there and in 1961 some added a detached garage in ROW an d 3’ from curb with a pending remove garage out of ROW order and it is Thursday today....  so the answer is no,  I would like a survey or at least a civil engineer to interpret the written Minho jumbo that describes said lot.

it is La Jolla,  we can afford to do it right.

Wow, that's a story and should have figured you would have tried the easiest method first. Does sound like at least s survey is in order. Good luck.

• 4 months later...

Hooboy, why would I outsource this?

Do they research through the bylaws to determine setbacks and other restrictions?  Do they deterime parking requirements?  Lane width requirements?  Footpaths?  Open space?

This is just weird and the price range seems suspect to me.

2 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Hey Scott,

How did that work out?

Well,  they bought the home,  but I do not think it has been surveyed yet....  so I do not know.

They might come to me this year.  Whenever you buy something in La Jolla,  I think it takes some time to get your feet under you again.

• 10 months later...

I signed up for this service and paid for the Premium plan.

I had high hopes but that was just wishful thinking. The plan was completely off.  The property line measurement was the only thing that was correct.

Everything else was off by 30% or more.  I do not recommend this service.

Chat withMilo

Chat with MiloMinimizeOpen options
We reply immediately!
Hi theref you need any assistance, I'm always here.
Please introduce yourself:

your examples show a building outline
Hello, not sure I understand your question here.
how could you know the building length and distance to property line
Using satellite view.
you show a distance from roof to property line, which could be determined from satellite
your examples show a building outline
Correct, we use rooflines.
but you show building lines.
where do these come from, a guess??
Still not sure what you're referring to. We clearly label rooflines on the buildings as rooflines.
on your examples you show a dashed line for the building, correct?
No, we cannot accurately show the floor plans of buildings without being provided with such.
Therefore, we use rooflines to present the buidling outlines.
ok, thats makes sense as other software does similar. someone told me you did buildings
but you clarified that
We do site plans, not structural plans.
site plans here require the building footprint to be shown for bylaw compliance
to setbacks
so in your examples where you show a building outline, did that come from the homewoner?
We can show footprints if you provide the floor plans/structural plans.
got it, makes sense
you line up the floor plan with the roof outline