Best method for creating shaped parapet wall?

Christina_Girerd

There are several threads on parapet walls but it looks like you should be able to do that with a wall and wall material regions as it appears to be all straight lines and not arcs.  I would draw a cad line and copy it a few times to snap the wall top to and don't make the mistake of clicking "Default Top Height". ;)

• Upvote 1

Keep in mind that polyline solids can give you display control in plan view as well, making it simple to identify the various elevations in plan view. And their material will blend with the wall material below as long as the surfaces are flush. Perfect for elevations and 3d views. Add a floor for the parapet walls and/or low slope roof.

Thankfully I didn't have to do any measuring.  The client had already used a firm that specializes in as-builts by the time they connected with me, but that firm only did plans and elevations.  I'm doing the 3D so they can produce some images for a donor campaign as they are a non-profit homeless shelter and related services.  Been in that building since about 1950.  They've done a few remodels over that time, but ready for another.  Before that it was a chemical company.  I haven't really started doing the inside yet - meeting with the client tomorrow to figure that part out.

11 minutes ago, Christina_Girerd said:

This is interesting - I just noticed that the top edge shows the stucco on the angled parts of the wall, but the wood for the straight parts.  I'm planning to just change the wood texture to be stucco but was surprised to see this.

Interesting.  I would try a wall cap.  Then you don't need to mess with the wall framing.

Yes  - that is faster than messing with materials in the wall type dbx since Chief annoyingly won't let me change materials with the eyedropper for wall  "insides."  Here's what a got with the standard "Cap 01" wall cap at the default 3/4" thickness.  I left the cap in the other material just to show how it applied. 

a4.JPG

9 minutes ago, Christina_Girerd said:

Here's what a got with the standard "Cap 01" wall cap at the default 3/4" thickness.

How about 1/2" or 1/4" and the same finish as the walls.  Was there a flat spot on top of the angled section in the middle of the window bank before ?

Well that is kind of sad that it did not work since that is what the feature is for.  Might be worth sending tech support a link to your last post.  Seems like it could use some improvement.  Glad you original idea worked out. :) 

I suppose you could just paint the top plate without wrecking all your wall framing. ;)