Living Area Square feet notation disappears.

stevenyhof

There must be something in the water.  It feels like this hadn’t been brought up in months and then about six people asked about it within a span of about three weeks.  

Yes.  Use Plan Check to bring it back.  I wouldn’t call it a “known issue“ though. It’s just the way the software works and it’s in the documentation. It’s definitely a little goofy but I’m guessing Chief just didn’t see the need to make an entire tool for “bring living area label back”. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

I'm working on a new plan and just noticed that my Living Area square feet notation is missing. This is the second plan I have worked on in the past number of days that this has happened. 

I keep a text file with Chief fixes that I only use once in a blue moon. The living area is one of the items. Another is turning off rooms in the layer set to show the subfloor ISO the finish floor.

• 2 months later...

I need to revive this issue. When I use... Tools > Checks > Plan Check nothing is happening. It just tells me that there are no errors.

On another plan a week ago I ran into an issue where the sq.ft. was off, and found a wall that was not ended - or broken.

However, I also found a tool where I could create a border on included areas - but for the life of me, I cannot remember it or find it back. Any ideas?

Thank you

1.png

• 3 months later...

When all the above fails - copy the floor with no Living Area and paste it into a new drawing.

Then just create a text object in your original plan and enter the sq.ft. manually. Not cool, but works.

Be mindful if you add or remove finished space, you need to update the text.

I think basement levels are always a little weird, both with regard to the Living Area label and with regard to the Plan Check tool.  At any rate, you can trick Chief into giving you back your Living Area Label on Floor 0 by enclosing a little room off to the side that is completely separate from the rest of the structure.  Now connect that room to the existing structure with a connecting wall.  Now simply delete all those new walls. 

What's really happening is that you're tricking Chief into recognizing a new Living Area and therefore generating a new Living Area Label.  When you draw the connecting wall, Chief considers them both part of the same structure and includes both areas in the total.  Deleting the extra walls just deletes that one room and the new label stays.

Also, you should be able to simply place the %living.area% macro into a text box to create your own living area label manually.  This will alleviate the need to manually update any values.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I think basement levels are always a little weird, both with regard to the Living Area label and with regard to the Plan Check tool.  At any rate, you can trick Chief into giving you back your Living Area Label on Floor 0 by enclosing a little room off to the side that is completely separate from the rest of the structure.  Now connect that room to the existing structure with a connecting wall.  Now simply delete all those new walls. 

What's really happening is that you're tricking Chief into recognizing a new Living Area and therefore generating a new Living Area Label.  When you draw the connecting wall, Chief considers them both part of the same structure and includes both areas in the total.  Deleting the extra walls just deletes that one room and the new label stays.

Also, you should be able to simply place the %living.area% macro into a text box to create your own living area label manually.  This will alleviate the need to manually update any values.

Both worked perfectly! I made my own Living Area some time ago, but did not think about adding the macro to it. Thank you Sir!

1.jpg