Refresh time - Rebuilding the model


stevenyhof
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, TheKitchenAbode said:

 

That's done from within OneDrive. Just assign the CA Auto Archive folder to OneDrive and it will back it up to the cloud every time it sees a change. OneDrive is very efficient so it's unlikely you will notice a difference. Other users use Google Drive, DropBox and iCloud.

Ah! I will look into that. Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

I do you google drive, so I could just connect that

 

That will do, just make sure there's enough space. Most of these services only provide about 5GB free and if you need more they have paid subscriptions.

 

I think if you could clean-up your existing system from those resource hogs you will definitely give it some more air to breath. Hey, I ran your plan on my Spectra, it's CPU is about the same as yours and I only have an integrated graphics chip and 8GB or Ram. It was not a problem and I still had my browser, email and excel running at the same time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TheKitchenAbode said:

Most of these services only provide about 5GB free and if you need more they have paid subscriptions

I have a paid subscription.

Quote

Hey, I ran your plan on my Spectra, it's CPU is about the same as yours and I only have an integrated graphics chip and 8GB or Ram. It was not a problem and I still had my browser, email and excel running at the same time.

Very good!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

That's done from within OneDrive. Just assign the CA Auto Archive folder to OneDrive and it will back it up to the cloud every time it sees a change. OneDrive is very efficient so it's unlikely you will notice a difference. Other users use Google Drive, DropBox and iCloud.

Do you prefer OneDrive over google? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

Thank you for everyone's help on this forum and even in messages.

This is what my son put together...

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Jordhof/saved/#view=rHK2mG

 

I'll need to update my signature when he gets it built.

Steve

 

My suggestion at this time would be to wait a month or two. NVidia is just releasing their RTX 3000 series cards, these offer at least a 30% or more performance improvement over the RTX 2000 series and are expected to be priced under the RTX 2000 series, seems like a win win situation, better performance at a lower cost.

 

CPU looks good, alternative might be the I9 9900K.

 

I would suggest you strongly consider a liquid cooler. To get the most out of those CPU's you will want to overclock them so they will run constantly at their higher frequency across all cores. A liquid cooler will do a better job of keeping temperatures in line to prevent the CPU from throttling down.

 

32 GB or RAM is more than sufficient, overkill for Chief but you may have other programs that might benefit from this. Regardless, as RAM is so cheap why not go for a bit more.

 

MNVe drive looks good, might consider the Pro series for a bit more throughput. There are some faster ones that use PCle 4.0 but I believe that at this time only AMD CPU's & motherboards support this.

 

I know there can be some satisfaction in building your own but why not consider say a Dell Alienware Aurora. These are solid machines and when tested/reviewed they are always in the top tier. They do a good job of matching up components to deliver consistent performance and quality, all at a very competitive price and they are always running special discounts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

 

My suggestion at this time would be to wait a month or two. NVidia is just releasing their RTX 3000 series cards, these offer at least a 30% or more performance improvement over the RTX 2000 series and are expected to be priced under the RTX 2000 series, seems like a win win situation, better performance at a lower cost.

 

CPU looks good, alternative might be the I9 9900K.

 

I would suggest you strongly consider a liquid cooler. To get the most out of those CPU's you will want to overclock them so they will run constantly at their higher frequency across all cores. A liquid cooler will do a better job of keeping temperatures in line to prevent the CPU from throttling down.

 

32 GB or RAM is more than sufficient, overkill for Chief but you may have other programs that might benefit from this. Regardless, as RAM is so cheap why not go for a bit more.

 

MNVe drive looks good, might consider the Pro series for a bit more throughput. There are some faster ones that use PCle 4.0 but I believe that at this time only AMD CPU's & motherboards support this.

 

I know there can be some satisfaction in building your own but why not consider say a Dell Alienware Aurora. These are solid machines and when tested/reviewed they are always in the top tier. They do a good job of matching up components to deliver consistent performance and quality, all at a very competitive price and they are always running special discounts.

Thank you for the feedback and info. Concerning Dell, I have had them all, even Alienware, and ASUS out performed for both laptops and desktops. I can always upgrade the video card, but as it is, I am getting too much lag with Chief and need to get something in place. I will update my Signature with new info once I have it in place. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Thank you for the feedback and info. Concerning Dell, I have had them all, even Alienware, and ASUS out performed for both laptops and desktops. I can always upgrade the video card, but as it is, I am getting too much lag with Chief and need to get something in place. I will update my Signature with new info once I have it in place. 

 

No problem. Even though the RTX 3000 series is not currently available, suggest moving up one level from the RTX 2060. Your new CPU will at times bottleneck the RTX 2060 one level up should prevent this and provide an improved CPU/GPU balance. Regardless, you will definitely notice a big difference.

 

Cheers,

Graham

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Steve - Not sure you saw the Thread from Rene "SLOWWW plan file suddenly" posted yesterday. Worth taking a look at as it's a great example of how just one or two elements in a plan can bring even the best of system to it's knees. Really important to keep this in mind when ones system starts to slow down. Also, as mentioned before camera settings can have a significant impact on performance, when working on basic model structure I never have lights, reflections, bloom, shadows or sun follows camera turned on. Makes a big difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BTW, Graham, I was in my late teens when we owned a Kitchen store. We built houses and did lots of remodels. (I'm the youngest of four brothers). Back then, I was the "processor":) I drew all the perspectives of the kitchens we sold and even added grain to the cabinets. That was over 40 years ago... 

This would be a close example of a perspective back then...

kitchen.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Steve - Not sure you saw the Thread from Rene "SLOWWW plan file suddenly" posted yesterday. Worth taking a look at as it's a great example of how just one or two elements in a plan can bring even the best of system to it's knees. Really important to keep this in mind when ones system starts to slow down. Also, as mentioned before camera settings can have a significant impact on performance, when working on basic model structure I never have lights, reflections, bloom, shadows or sun follows camera turned on. Makes a big difference.

I did see that. I will continue to fine tune my template(s) for this. I do have the sun follow, but that is the only change I made to camera - that I am aware of.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

I did see that. I will continue to fine tune my template(s) for this. I do have the sun follow, but that is the only change I made to camera - that I am aware of.

 

Turn that off. When it's on CA has to recalculate the shadow projections every time you move or change the model. The camera features I mentioned are really only need if you are preparing final renderings. Personally when working on primary structure I find all of these added effects distracting and tend to draw ones focus away from more important aspects. Not really very efficient to be focused on a particular shingle when the physical roof structure is not yet complete.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

 

Turn that off. When it's on CA has to recalculate the shadow projections every time you move or change the model. The camera features I mentioned are really only need if you are preparing final renderings. Personally when working on primary structure I find all of these added effects distracting and tend to draw ones focus away from more important aspects. Not really very efficient to be focused on a particular shingle when the physical roof structure is not yet complete.

Very good. I will turn that off. Thank you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Very good. I will turn that off. Thank you

 

Also, don't forget about the Display Layer options. Turning off unnecessary layers has a big impact on performance. Again, when working on structure there is no need for furniture, cabinets, electrical, plants, trees, terrain and the likes to be displayed. Under most circumstances CA only processes what is defined as displayed. You can define your own Display sets so this only has to be done once and then you just have to assign this to the camera you are using.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

So I have my new computer set up and my libraries, hotkeys, toolbars, etc. all transferred over. So far things are running along fine and smoothly. I also added two top monitors to my system so I could use both large monitors for Chief. I love it! 

I will upload my computer details and my signature soon. My son, who built the computer said he would buy my graphics card once the newer cards come out that should help with rendering. Thank you again for everyone who offered advice and direction on the computer details.
IMG_4451.thumb.jpg.2ddf777468bd4e1f0e55916acfa43ee5.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Member Statistics

    32961
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    DanielleOosten
    Newest Member
    DanielleOosten
    Joined
  • Similar Content

    • By stevenyhof
      As we all know, there are limited garage doors in Chief... A lot of them! Just not what we need. I plan on making more of the standard doors also. These are some of the common doors we use here in West Michigan from Clopay or similar.
      I am including my drawing where I made the doors if you want to make your own and/or expand on the drawing. I am also including my Library of these garage doors.
       
      Video about the garage doors...
      https://myplan.stevenyhofdesigns.com/kpuAQdL0
       


       
      Link to the drawing file - X15
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CzPT2ofEA8nbzTSrq84sTzHaokrgdFXv/view?usp=share_link
       
      Link to the Library - X15
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f1XCRJamNBeSX2FtzcGjorwdp2E5TTQm/view?usp=share_link
       
      Let me know what you think. Are these helpful?
       
      credit to Eric - EricOnChiefArchitect
       
    • By stevenyhof
      I wanted to add this here for anyone wanting to make beams and have the grain run with the beam on all side - even for Arcs
       
    • By stevenyhof
      I found another post where users were trying to find better ways to generate more realistic grass, and further conversation brought me to Twinmotion to help me render elevations quickly.
      Here is a link to what I learned and shared on setting up an environment with grade and trees that is ready to import your CA model...
      https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/24205-how-to-create-life-like-grass/?do=findComment&comment=284826

      Here is the link to both the background.tm and the Grade folder... (will need to be unzipped - see detail in above post for more details)
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RsesiBodBiwYzdtgY6il1r1eqF9ubjK1/view?usp=sharing
      UPDATE: Updated background files and details at the end of this thread.

      See steps in posts below to set up.
      FYI, I have been overwriting the background as I have improved it - it now has grass added from Twinmotion.
    • By stevenyhof
      I did just send this to support, but wanted to know if anyone else was running into this - perhaps unwittingly...
      https://myplan.stevenyhofdesigns.com/ApuD7lOR
    • By stevenyhof
      I ran into this once before, where I open my CA and there are no toolbars on the top and side.
      I found that my saved configuration was missing so I added it back in and set it default [ Switch To ]
      Nothing happens. 
      I even reset my toolbars and still nothing.
      Any idea how to get my toolbars back?
      Thank you,
      Steve