RESOLVED- Is X12 stable now, without crashing?

PIR-Designs

Hi All, 

I really hope I don't open up a can of worms asking this. I bought the upgrade in February so that I could download X12. 

But a few days after I bought the upgrade I went to ChiefTalk about another question, and saw that several people were having problems with X12 crashing on them. 

So I haven't downloaded X12 yet. 

Is anyone still having issues with X12 crashing, or has that issue been resolved?

I'd really like to download X12 but am in the middle of several projects and I don't want to have to deal with the program crashing. 

(Because for me, that's flashbacks to 2020 Design software crashing 5 or 6 times an hour.)

Thanks for your help.

Lauren

X11 Premier,  Windows 10

7 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I have had X12 for almost a year with no crashes, ever. even early on it was very stable which leads me to believe, its something going on with your computer.

I DON'T have X12. What I was saying that is that just before I was about to download it, I saw several posts in ChiefTalk from people who said X12 was crashing. 

So before I decide to download it (since I paid for the upgrade earlier in February), I wanted to make sure there were no more issues with it crashing. 

The only crashing with design software I've ever had personally is with that "2020 Design" software. But I have an extremely beefy computer that I specifically purchased for using Chief Architect. So my computer is fine. 2020 Design software is NOT fine. (I don't use it any longer). And my X11 is fine... never has crashed... ever. 

So no, nothing is going on with my computer. 

Thanks

14 minutes ago, kMoquin said:

I upgraded immediately and never had an issue with X12 crashing.

Thanks kMoquin! 

The forum posts that I saw early in February really scared me. 

So I didn't want to download it until I knew things were stable. 

I'll download it today. 

Thanks!

Lauren:)

Chief Architect is not 20-20 and you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. 

X12 is very stable and has been since it was originally released.  The posts you saw in February may have been due to an isolated incident or possibly a problem with a driver update.  Regardless, I would not hesitate to upgrade to X12 at this point.  Please be aware that when you bring your X11 plans into X12 and save them that you will no longer be able to open them back up in X11.  

More information can be found in our migration guide:

https://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pdf/documentation/chief-architect-x12-migration-guide.pdf

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dermot said:

Chief Architect is not 20-20 and you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. 

X12 is very stable and has been since it was originally released.  The posts you saw in February may have been due to an isolated incident or possibly a problem with a driver update.  Regardless, I would not hesitate to upgrade to X12 at this point.  Please be aware that when you bring your X11 plans into X12 and save them that you will no longer be able to open them back up in X11.  

More information can be found in our migration guide:

https://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pdf/documentation/chief-architect-x12-migration-guide.pdf

LOL! "Chief Architect is not 20-20 and you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet."  That's an odd thing to say considering I READ IT ON CHIEFTALK! Not just some place on the "internet."  Isn't that the purpose of ChiefTalk... to find issues and resolve them among Chief Architect users? That's where I go for answers.

And of course I know Chief Architect is NOT 2020 Design. THAT WAS MY POINT! I love Chief Architect. But I was "forced" to use 2020 Design software on a computer at work awhile back. And it's crap because 1) it can't ever do what CA does, 2) it crashes about 5 or 6 times an hour.

So now that I'm working for myself, I use Chief Architect at home on my computer. And when I went to ChiefTalk forum right after I paid for the upgrade in February, I saw several posts IN THE CHIEFTALK FORUM (not out on the internet) that said it was crashing on them. So I'm really not sure what you're referring to.

Second, why would I want to open files with X11 after I migrate to X12?  Will something drastic happen to the files when they are opened in X12?

44 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

What are your computer specs? you can add it to your signature. I still say its on your end 

She is saying she heard that it was causing issues.

I remember reading the same comments that she talked about and I even had them but they were not full crashes.  There was a glitch for about two days where a certain (first or second update of x12 had an issue with Mac systems (which is why I had them) that would crash when pulling a certain view (don't even recall what it was but it was traced very quickly to a mac system update that was at the same time.)  Don't remember who fixed it apple or Chief but it was short lived and not a major issue as there was a work around once we figured out what it was.  I wasn't a beta tester but have used it since day 1 of SSA release without any other issues.  And to add it is heads and tails one of the best updates to chief and extremely stable.

• Like 1

There was an issue with the 2nd or 3rd Update and it was pulled off the Server 2-3 days later.... but is was only effecting people who were using Edit Area alot IIRC?

The MAC version still has unexpected Close Out issues with no save warning ......AFAIAA....occasionally....but I don't think that is X12 specific or even MAC only, I just have seen it happen more on MAC Systems than on PCs personally.  Other than that Issue I am not aware of any "Known Issues" with either version ...... unless you run Nahimic Sonic Software for the Audio on your Desktop or Laptop and try and use 3D on a 2nd Monitor ... ( ran into this myself this week ) but that is NOT a Chief Issue , and is perhaps the "Issue" you read about earlier this Year ? as it is an ongoing issue ...see pages 3+4 for more recent posts about it , including mine here :

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/21770-external-monitors-not-working/

The Chief FAQs on the close out issue.....

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02940/troubleshooting-chief-architect-software-closing-unexpectedly-on-a-mac.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03049/troubleshooting-chief-architect-software-closing-unexpectedly-on-windows.html

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

What are your computer specs? you can add it to your signature. I still say its on your end 

You're still not understanding what I'm saying.  I do NOT have X12 yet. I have X11 with NO issues at all. 

I have NOT downloaded X12 yet (though I paid for the upgrade in February of this year). 

I was asking it the issues that I had read about on ChiefTalk in late February regarding X12 crashing, were still an issue. 

I asked that because I didn't want to upgrade my X11 to X12 if there were still crashing issues. 

That's it. 

MY COMPUTER HAS NEVER CRASHED WITH CHIEF ARCHITECT. 

So what are you talking about when you say "it's still on my end?"  WHAT is still on my end?

I have NO issues with X11 and I have not downloaded X12 yet. 

4 hours ago, rgardner said:

She is saying she heard that it was causing issues.

I remember reading the same comments that she talked about and I even had them but they were not full crashes.  There was a glitch for about two days where a certain (first or second update of x12 had an issue with Mac systems (which is why I had them) that would crash when pulling a certain view (don't even recall what it was but it was traced very quickly to a mac system update that was at the same time.)  Don't remember who fixed it apple or Chief but it was short lived and not a major issue as there was a work around once we figured out what it was.  I wasn't a beta tester but have used it since day 1 of SSA release without any other issues.  And to add it is heads and tails one of the best updates to chief and extremely stable.

Yes, rgardner... thank you. So when I saw those "crashing issues" being discussed on ChiefTalk forum in February, it must have been those couple of days. 

But anyway, thank you for the info. By the way, when I download the X12, do I just install it over the X11 version?  I mean, will it automatically override the X11 version? Or do I need to completely uninstall the X11 and then install X12?

Thanks

Lauren

X11 Premier, Windows 10, PC

26 minutes ago, MilitaryTVgirl said:

Yes, rgardner... thank you. So when I saw those "crashing issues" being discussed on ChiefTalk forum in February, it must have been those couple of days. 

But anyway, thank you for the info. By the way, when I download the X12, do I just install it over the X11 version?  I mean, will it automatically override the X11 version? Or do I need to completely uninstall the X11 and then install X12?

Thanks

Lauren

You install it separately.  But there is a guide with the download that will help you with switching over.  Worth the read.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MilitaryTVgirl said:

Thanks

Lauren

No, X12 will install alongside X11, you can finish Projects already startedin X11 and start New projects in X12 that way if desired. On 1st startup it will offer to "migrate" you X11 Settings , Chief suggests you don't migrate Templates ( but rebuild them each version for the new Templates provided) and not to migrate Toolbars so you get the Icon for all/any new X12 features.

When you download the file,  the 2 links in green below the download button are PDFs to give you more info on the Process.

If not done already , in the digital locker accept the upgradeon the right 1st....then there will be a download button for the File.

Mick.

chief-architect-x12-migration-guide.pdf

x12-new-features.pdf

X12-Premier-Interiors Comparison-Matrix.pdf

chief-architect-x12-download-and-installation-instructions.pdf

M.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kbird1 said:

No, X12 will install alongside X11, you can finish Projects already startedin X11 and start New projects in X12 that way if desired. On 1st startup it will offer to "migrate" you X11 Settings , Chief suggests you don't migrate Templates ( but rebuild them each version for the new Templates provided) and not to migrate Toolbars so you get the Icon for all/any new X12 features.

When you download the file,  the 2 links in green below the download button are PDFs to give you more info on the Process.

If not done already , in the digital locker accept the upgradeon the right 1st....then there will be a download button for the File.

Mick.

Thanks Mick! 

I'm going to do all of this tomorrow. 

Brain is overloaded today. Haha!

Appreciate your help. 

Lauren

Just now, MilitaryTVgirl said:

Thanks Mick! 

I'm going to do all of this tomorrow. 

Brain is overloaded today. Haha!

Appreciate your help. 

Lauren

PDFs are above now , I just added them.....

Here is the Chief Video on X12 if you haven't seen it.....

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/playlists/173/what-s-new.html?playlist=139