Exterior Stairs

builtright3

3 minutes ago, Mark3D said:

I had a go at it but could not see what was causing it that section of wall that seems like a post  seems to have a mind of its own plus that strange beam I got the ceiling working but it still has wall problems

Yea, part of the problem is that it passes under the second story cantilever. I did it as one tall room and I tried it with 1st and 2nd floor. There has to be a way but I'm not sure what it is.

1 hour ago, DzinEye said:

Joe, In floor plan, go up to the 2nd floor and define that stairwell with your Exterior walls set to be invisible.  Give the room type "Open Below" and flat ceiling.

Stairwell.JPG

Much closer! Big Help.
How did you get rid of these things? Did they just go away when you did what you told me?

image.thumb.png.d8d9387d4aa62813f4f20d53ac3f78ca.png

2 hours ago, builtright3 said:

How did you get rid of these things? Did they just go away when you did what you told me?

Interesting... I didn't get those!  So... possibly... it's a difference to what I did and what I told you to do.  I told you to do it slightly differently than I did it, only with the intention of saving you a few steps, but possibly it makes the difference.  I used the Room Divider wall type to draw the walls, but then that bit of gable end wall above was the wrong wall type, so I had to change it to your exterior wall type, which then gave me the usual notice that I was changing an automatic attic wall and would lose the automatic functionality.  So when I wrote, I thought if you made the walls from the exterior wall type set to invisible then the auto gable wall would be correct from the get-go and you wouldn't need to loose the automatic attic wall function.    If doing it that way doesn't change the outcome, then I don't know what to tell you as that is truly the only difference in what I did.  I did not manually delete anything.

4 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Interesting... I didn't get those!  So... possibly... it's a difference to what I did and what I told you to do.  I told you to do it slightly differently than I did it, only with the intention of saving you a few steps, but possibly it makes the difference.  I used the Room Divider wall type to draw the walls, but then that bit of gable end wall above was the wrong wall type, so I had to change it to your exterior wall type, which then gave me the usual notice that I was changing an automatic attic wall and would lose the automatic functionality.  So when I wrote, I thought if you made the walls from the exterior wall type set to invisible then the auto gable wall would be correct from the get-go and you wouldn't need to loose the automatic attic wall function.    If doing it that way doesn't change the outcome, then I don't know what to tell you as that is truly the only difference in what I did.  I did not manually delete anything.

For some reason I really have this whole plan messed up. Just sent another thread out for the front house framing. I think I'm suffering from burnout. I have 12 plans going at the same time but this one is giving me a hard time.

My Dad is in stage 4 cancer and I have to get out to Michigan from California on the 30th. Burning the candle at both ends to get all my work done.

3 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

My Dad is in stage 4 cancer and I have to get out to Michigan from California on the 30th. Burning the candle at both ends to get all my work done.

Sorry to hear that Joe... wicked tough.   All the best to you and your father.    

15 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Sorry to hear that Joe... wicked tough.   All the best to you and your father.    

Thanks you!

I'm finding some discrepancies in my wall types and floor structure levels so I need to just go through room by room tomorrow and maybe even redraw the stairs and stairwell area.

42 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

For some reason I really have this whole plan messed up. Just sent another thread out for the front house framing. I think I'm suffering from burnout. I have 12 plans going at the same time but this one is giving me a hard time.

Very sorry to hear you are dealing with that!  All the best to you and your entire family.  Safe travels.

Sorry to hear about your Dad.  Wishing all the best to you and your family.  Family obviously comes first, but if and when you get a chance, there are a couple of things related to Chief that you might want to do.

As for your plan, your layout is a little bit unusual so it's not too surprising that you are finding some anomalies. When you encounter problems like this, I would encourage you to report them to our technical support team so that we can look into them to see if we can improve the program in these areas.  You can find more info about contacting tech support here:  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/

Also, I noticed that you are still using 22.2.  I would strongly encourage you to update to the latest build (22.3) that was released in June.  There were a number of good bug fixes that you are currently missing.  For a full list of what was fixed in the latest update, please see these update notes:  https://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pdf/documentation/chief-architect-x12-update-notes.pdf

3 hours ago, Dermot said:

Sorry to hear about your Dad.  Wishing all the best to you and your family.  Family obviously comes first, but if and when you get a chance, there are a couple of things related to Chief that you might want to do.

As for your plan, your layout is a little bit unusual so it's not too surprising that you are finding some anomalies. When you encounter problems like this, I would encourage you to report them to our technical support team so that we can look into them to see if we can improve the program in these areas.  You can find more info about contacting tech support here:  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/

Also, I noticed that you are still using 22.2.  I would strongly encourage you to update to the latest build (22.3) that was released in June.  There were a number of good bug fixes that you are currently missing.  For a full list of what was fixed in the latest update, please see these update notes:  https://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pdf/documentation/chief-architect-x12-update-notes.pdf

Thank you for the kind words and also for the information.

I updated the program a while back. Not sure where you saw the older version.

Im probably going to draw the garage with the unit over the top of it in a separate plan file. I think I might have better luck with it. I need to go through and clean it up anyway now that I have a good feel for what I'm doing.

Any additional input for how I should rebuild it would be greatly appreciated.

One thing that was an issue is that the walls with open ends were not wrapping with stucco. Not sure how to do that.

image.thumb.png.2a226e458ed6ca3c4c94d46ee2f552cd.png

updated the program a while back. Not sure where you saw the older version.

My apologies for the confusion.  This must have been a mistake on my part.  We write information in the plan file showing the last version it was saved in.  I could have swore that I saw 22.2 but I see now that it is 22.3.  I may have been looking at an earlier version of the plan, or someone else's plan, or simply had a senior moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dermot said:

My apologies for the confusion.  This must have been a mistake on my part.  We write information in the plan file showing the last version it was saved in.  I could have swore that I saw 22.2 but I see now that it is 22.3.  I may have been looking at an earlier version of the plan, or someone else's plan, or simply had a senior moment.

LOL
I know what those senior moment s are like.
I wish I needed an update and all my problems would go away with it LOL!

20 hours ago, Mark3D said:

Have you had any luck getting this file to work  did you submit it to chief support I would be interested in the outcome I got it to work better but the one thing I could not fix is the peace of wall coming out at the corner of hand rail 

No, I did not get everything resolved but I have a few ideas I will try on Monday when I get back in the office and I will update this thread with what I have learned.
If I learn anything! LOL

On 9/7/2020 at 12:36 PM, builtright3 said:

Here is another file. The other one may not work

Harco.plan

Joe - I did the best I could with your plan...got it maybe 95%.  

The thing about stairs is you need to make sure they are contained in a "room".  That is the biggest thing. I also created a foundation below the room...I called it a garage just to quickly create a room with a slab. You may not want that...but, I was just trying to get a floor under the stair. 

I made some notes on the plans attached to help clarify what I did. I had to break the stair rail wall in a number of places and change the rail designation and heights to get it all to work...but the key to everything is using some invisible walls on the 2nd floor to create a "room". 

Hope the attached plan fix helps...Harco Plan 2 - Steve Fix.plan

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SNestor said:

Joe - I did the best I could with your plan...got it maybe 95%.  

The thing about stairs is you need to make sure they are contained in a "room".  That is the biggest thing. I also created a foundation below the room...I called it a garage just to quickly create a room with a slab. You may not want that...but, I was just trying to get a floor under the stair. 

I made some notes on the plans attached to help clarify what I did. I had to break the stair rail wall in a number of places and change the rail designation and heights to get it all to work...but the key to everything is using some invisible walls on the 2nd floor to create a "room". 

Hope the attached plan fix helps...Harco Plan 2 - Steve Fix.plan

Thank you!

This helps a lot. Between what others have shared I think on Monday when I rebuild it I will have all that I need and I will share the outcome.