Is a 1 hour wall needed?

mtldesigns

For all you code experts I have a question for you, maybe I am over thinking this.  Designing a single family home (very small) that will be built in N.C.  I don't have the county yet, my client is still looking for a large chunk of land, but wanted home designed first.  My client is lady who will be retiring early 2021, and she will be using this home as income property.  She will be living in the main house and it will be separated from the bedrooms she wants to rent by a breezeway.  The breezeway is slab over fill, and the "bedroom" wing will have its own utility closet, so she can control if not being rented.  My question, will I need a 1 hour wall in the attic above this breezeway?  I understand the code if this was two units, but this is kinda edgy.  Makes sense that it does not, because if she was renting rooms inside the main house, it wouldn't. Just trying to think ahead and avoid any potential design error.  

BREEZEWAY.jpg

EXTERIOR 1 90420.jpg

bedroom wing.JPG

Since you are going to need attic access in both areas it would be appropriate to have a separation wall anyway.  It's not that big an expense (5/8" Type X drywall instead of 1/2") so just do it and eliminate any question.

Also, if the breezeway has a vaulted ceiling you could just have the side walls go all the way to the roof sheathing.

I am glad to see I was on the same train of thought as you gents.  And like you mentioned its 5/8 drywall, so not going to break a bank.  I just want to make sure its noted, even if not required, can't go wrong.

Joe, I love the idea of the vault, I will ask Sharon (my client) if she likes it also.  Maybe even create my attic access to both sides via that "gable wall" instead of going through ceiling.  Gets rid of me trying to figure out a location for these ugly things.  

1 minute ago, mtldesigns said:

My suggestion to client..  And to me has to be cheaper in the long run...

option 2.jpg

I like it.  Just an observation though.  I would guess this would make the AHJ move this as a possible duplex to a duplex although there is no kitchens in the other rooms.  Renaming it breezeway to "outdoor Family room", or "screened Family room" miggggghhhtt help?  Cool idea though.  My in-laws live in North Central North Carolina and the AHJs up there are very lenient.  

• Like 1

The matching gable access via the breezeway was shot down.  I will be putting in a 1 hour wall just cover the a$$es.  She is OK with two pull down stairs attic accesses.  Now to find a place for these ugly things.

I really liked the gable access to, but not my house. 

Thanks for all the input..  at least I know I was thinking along the right path, as you all.