GPU Upgrade Vs CPU Upgrade

NoviceGuy

My system currently has a Ryzen 3700x and Radeon RX 580 with 8 gigs of ram. I'm starting to do a lot more PBR and wanted to know where I would see more of an improvement in terms of hardware upgrades. Would I see more of an improvement upgrading my current card to a 2060 super or upgrading my cpu to a 3900x?

Thank you in advance!

I would suggest you focus on the GPU first. Your Ryzen 3700x is a competent CPU. A 2060 super is not likely going to provide a significant improvement, might need to go for a NVidia RTX 2070 super of higher. However, keep in mind that PBR'ing is not just a GPU operation, your CPU will always be involved. The degree of this involvement depends on what you are doing when working within a PBR camera view. Zooming, rotating and panning are more reliant on the GPU to generate a sufficient frame rate so these movements appear as smooth as possible. When you make physical changes/alterations to your model then there are a lot of CPU operations that need to be done before your GPU takes over. It's a challenging balancing act if you are trying to find the performance/benefit/cost sweet spot.

One advantage of trying out the GPU first is that you can always return it if you are not satisfied with it. Upgrading a CPU is far more complex of a procedure as you may have to upgrade your mother board.