User Catalog - disappeared

80238dmcm

Should maybe call Tech support in the morning , but if you haven't backed it up , then the usual location in listed in Preferences>Folders>User Library Folder> the KEEP section , will have it's last location....... 

*** and for anyone else who reads this, a reminder go to your Library and Export the User Catalog regularly to a safe place like an Ext. Hard drive just in case.

KB Article on how to....

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00091/backing-up-and-restoring-library-content.html

image.thumb.png.20fce8a2ad7483d884bd5d85c04815e6.png

• 3 months later...

My user catalog folder is there but it's empty. We live in a modern world.  This just should not be an issue when using a program that automatically does backups while you are working. Nothing worse than hearing about what you should have done after its too late. 

6 hours ago, chipporter said:

My user catalog folder is there but it's empty. We live in a modern world.  This just should not be an issue when using a program that automatically does backups while you are working. Nothing worse than hearing about what you should have done after its too late. 

The User Catalog is not covered by the Autobackup system , that is your responsibility , I would suggest you call Tech. Support and see if they can help recover it.

M. 

What I have adopted is to triple back up everything which is what my additional hard drives and my One Drive accounts are for. Library files I manually back up and update manually when I add new library files which I back up to a USB hard drive for that purpose, just saying...

BTW if you like, I can share my own personal "Users Library" file, it has symbols in it dating back to Noah's Ark, it is about one and a half GB in size to replace your missing one, let me know

DJP

• 2 years later...

If you got a new computer, then your user library should still be on your old computer but it won't be transferred over to your new computer automatically.  

If your old computer is still running, then you can still make a backup of your user library and then transfer it to your new computer.

If your old computer died but you made a backup of your user library at some time, then you should be able to restore it but you may lose everything you made since your last backup.

If your old computer died and you didn't make any backups, then you are probably out of luck.  The only thing that might help you is if your hard disk is still functioning well enough to extract the data that might be still on it.

The only other thing that might help is that if you have any backups of your plan files that are using things from your user library, you can always open the plan and then add these objects back to your new user library.  This can be pretty tedious when you have custom objects spread out through lots of old plans.

The bottom line is that you should make regular backups of anything you don't want to lose.

Here is a tech article explaining how to backup everything:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00001/backing-up-chief-architect-content.html

Here is the article explaining how to restore everything that you have backed up:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00091/restoring-chief-architect-content.html

6 hours ago, MiseDesign said:

I am having that same issue now too. I got a new computer and that file now has no data in it. It can find it, but nothing to download. I'll take the "Noahs Ark" file if this gets fixed. 

Make sure it wasn't moved to a non-standard location. From Support:

If the Chief Architect Premier Data folder is renamed, moved or deleted, the program will automatically replace it using default information from the program's installation folder. When this occurs, customized user settings and custom user library content will not be available.