Tricky moulding question!

cbdesign

Looking at your picture, I can see at least 5 different moldings. 

If the main problem is the column, you might want to model this as a countertop, soffit, or cabinet pushed into the opening.  If you have problems with the molding getting cutoff (because cabinet moldings can sometimes do weird things when they span rooms), you could create the column somewhere else and convert it into a symbol.

Also, maybe this tech article can help:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00166/creating-and-editing-molding-profiles.html

• Upvote 1

Is this the Chief Interiors forum?

Yes, actually it is.  We have a separate forum for the Home Designer products but this site is for all Chief Architect users, including Premier, Interiors, Lite, Viewer, students, and even potential future customers.

• Upvote 1

The 'small wall' and the central 'column' are built the same, only the small wall has a vertical moulding to create visual separation from the rest of the wall.  If it's important to you to model the bull-nose corners used on these areas, then I would suggest you use polyline solids to make these areas.  Although it can be done with normal walls you still have to use moldings or p-solids to make the bullnose, so just easier to draw out the shape in plan view with bullnose corners.  Make a copy of that outline and paste in place and convert to a molding polyline and select the molding style that most closely matches your photo...or combine a few.  Then tab to select the original polyline you made and convert it to a solid and give the the proper height.  In elevation or 3D view copy your base molding and move it up to the top of the column then open it's dbx and rotate the profile.

Oh... and for that vertical molding on the 'small wall' just open a room elevation looking at that wall face on and draw a line where you want that vertical molding, then convert it into a molding polyline and again select the molding style you want. 

If it's important to you to model the bull-nose corners used on these areas, then I would suggest you use polyline solids to make these areas.

Personally, I think it's easier to use a custom counter top or a cabinet since you can attach the molding directly to it.  One advantage of using a cabinet, is that you can set the corner treatment to rounded and specify the width.  One advantage of the counter top is that you have more control over the shape although it is possible to create an l-shaped column using a corner cabinet.  See the picture below where the columns were done using wall cabinets with the face removed and the moldings added.

columns.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Dermot said:

One advantage of using a cabinet, is that you can set the corner treatment to rounded and specify the width

Thanks for chiming in again there Dermot!.. I've never given the countertops a workout for anything other than countertops.  Not bad.  
As for using a cabinet, I find there's just too many settings to play with ... but if I worked with them on a regular basis I'd probably be quicker with the manipulation.