Wack-mole roof plane specification game

rockyshepheard

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.e886aedd15d5ad19ee8380ce831f9e55.jpg
I would like to finally put this issue to rest. I don't wish to rely on luck to get the correct values in the fields.
In my opinion, since I can have the above settings on the left, there is no law of physics that says I cannot have the same on the right.
The problem is I cannot lock more than one field such that I can FORCE the software to change the field I want.
I am aware that if I fiddle with it repeatedly for an hour, I will always get lucky and eventually the right values show up. I am missing a methodology to do this.
see video. I apologize if it painful to watch. LOL

roof attempt 019.plan

Hi Rockney,

I don't have time to look at the plan file right now but take a look at your "Overhang From Baseline" Measurement.  I think that is what is throwing you off.

Can't explain the birdsmouth setting without looking at the plan file though.

• Upvote 1

I wish I could see why one cannot be allowed to lock two values. It works fine for modifying a cuboid volume specifications .
cuboid settings:
volume 500
y 10
z 5
I can lock two out of four.
If I set y to 50 and lock x at 10 and volume at 500, then my z value changes to 1.
Effectively locking what I want to keep first.
Is a 3D plane so much different?

I've just discovered that the specs don't even need to match in order to get ridge caps. 
Maybe the best method should be get them close as you can in the plan and the specs dbx then...use  "Join Roof Planes".
I wold prefer not using join roof planes because I've noticed joining can move BOTH plan edges. I usually get one perfect in the plan and then try to move the other to the perfect one. You end up with ridge caps but your plan view is modified wrt all other planes. That is why I want to do it manually through the dbx.

Untitled-1.jpg

6 hours ago, rockyshepheard said:

I wold prefer not using join roof planes because I've noticed joining can move BOTH plan edges. I usually get one perfect in the plan and then try to move the other to the perfect one.

Can't look at plan or video right now, but if the program moves both edges, neither was "perfect"

6 hours ago, solver said:

You should always join roof planes.

+1

10 hours ago, rockyshepheard said:

The problem is I cannot lock more than one field such that I can FORCE the software to change the field I want.

Long time Rocky, glad to see you are still here!

If you were to think about it long enough you would realize that we are locking more than Chief gives us direct control of in the roof .dbx. If you were to lock the ridge height and the pitch, then changing the baseline height would move the eave edge of the roof plane thus changing the overhang. The system works as it should. which points us to a user error.

Things to note

• When you draw a manual plane, the plane's adjacent edges will change a line style overlay to finely dotted, only when you have snapped to a known angle. 
  • Whatever edge you are closest to when you hover over a plane and then open the plane's dbx will report its info to the "Selected Line" panel of the dbx. You should check all edges of your planes to ensure they are correct angles. **spoiler alert is that they are not correct which is why you are having a lot of trouble.**
  • Sometimes it is easier to pull back the edges of a roof plane and snap to a correct angle to avoid snapping to another element that is an incorrect angle. To ensure your success in correcting angles you can turn off all snaps except for the "extensions" snap. Edit\snap settings\
  • After you have finished correcting your angles you can turn snaps back on and start snapping planes together. You will then see that your eaves are out of plan with one another...move edges to correct this, not vertices.

• Upvote 1

On 9/2/2020 at 8:40 AM, Renerabbitt said:

Long time Rocky, glad to see you are still here!

If you were to think about it long enough you would realize that we are locking more than Chief gives us direct control of in the roof .dbx. If you were to lock the ridge height and the pitch, then changing the baseline height would move the eave edge of the roof plane thus changing the overhang. The system works as it should. which points us to a user error.

Things to note

• When you draw a manual plane, the plane's adjacent edges will change a line style overlay to finely dotted, only when you have snapped to a known angle. 
  • Whatever edge you are closest to when you hover over a plane and then open the plane's dbx will report its info to the "Selected Line" panel of the dbx. You should check all edges of your planes to ensure they are correct angles. **spoiler alert is that they are not correct which is why you are having a lot of trouble.**
  • Sometimes it is easier to pull back the edges of a roof plane and snap to a correct angle to avoid snapping to another element that is an incorrect angle. To ensure your success in correcting angles you can turn off all snaps except for the "extensions" snap. Edit\snap settings\
  • After you have finished correcting your angles you can turn snaps back on and start snapping planes together. You will then see that your eaves are out of plan with one another...move edges to correct this, not vertices.

Long time, true. Thanks!  and thanks for the tips!