house angled on lot instead of parallel to street - rotate site?

K-Lynn

The house originally set parallel to one street on a corner lot. The client's now want it angled on the lot. I have the site drawn including elevation data. If I need to keep the house square for the plans, do I rotate all the site data to show where it will set? This feels backwards but how else would I keep the site data correct in the exterior views? This is the first time I've done this in 3D. 

21 minutes ago, K-Lynn said:

The house originally set parallel to one street on a corner lot. The client's now want it angled on the lot. I have the site drawn including elevation data. If I need to keep the house square for the plans, do I rotate all the site data to show where it will set? This feels backwards but how else would I keep the site data correct in the exterior views? This is the first time I've done this in 3D. 

In these type of situations I will usually separate the site plan from the drawing. In other words; you have a plan file just for the site plan and another plan file for the floor plan, elevations, electrical, sections.....

4 minutes ago, lbuttery said:

you can  also have two plans 

one for the building - one for the site

This is what I was tying to say in my post but Lew did a better job of explaining it.
However, I never used the idea of building a symbol for the site plan. Not something that I'm familiar with but should probably learn about symbols in general and how hey work.

Thank you Lew

34 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

Personally, I would keep the 2D site plan in a CAD Detail, and use the Plan Footprint to rotate the building in the 2D Detail so you don't waste the work you've done. If you need 3D of the entire house with a 3D site, then a separate 3D file could work using a 3D symbol of the house.

I used to be a big fan of the Plan Footprint CAD Detail method myself, but since the advent of Saved Plan Views, I've found that one of the most effective and efficient methods is to do the entire site/plot plan right in the model and thereby avoid re-drawing and syncing up any site information.  The key of course is to rotate and reposition all the site information instead of rotating the model.  We've always been able to do this, but Saved Plan Views just make it a lot easier and more efficient.  Specifically...

• You may want to set most (if not all) your Saved Plan Views to Remember Zoom/Rotation.  This step isn't necessary as I'll explain in a moment, but makes things a bit easier to manage.
  • Use the Rotate Plan View tool to set the desired rotation angle for your Site/Plot Plan.  This one for sure needs to be set to Remember Zoom/Rotation.  The problem that comes into play is that once you try to switch from this Plan View to another, if the other is not set to Remember Zoom Rotation, that one will end up being at the off angle.  The workaround is to have at least one other normally oriented Plan View that is set to Remember Zoom/Rotation and to be sure and always switch to that one before switching to others.  It really just depends on your workflow.  
  • I recommend making a note with that aforementioned angle and placing it somewhere off to the side in your Site/Plot Plan so you can copy/paste it into dialogs as may be necessary later.

Once set up, here's a screenshot of what I see when I click on Working Plan View...

1735982520_pic1.thumb.jpg.1fc520812b848055b878513c7d725607.jpg

...and what I see when I click Plot Plan View...

pic2.thumb.jpg.959036565860535ec2ccb7ef73b909e2.jpg

...and they're both right in the model (no CAD Details) and using very little CAD.

The only problem with this system is that if you have to rotate and move the house, it's more difficult since you're going to be rotating and dragging the entire site around, rather than the house. Sure, you can block it, but I still think it's a little counter-intuitive. Plan Footprint let's you just drag and rotate a single polyline around. 

1 hour ago, Richard_Morrison said:

The only problem with this system is that if you have to rotate and move the house, it's more difficult since you're going to be rotating and dragging the entire site around, rather than the house. Sure, you can block it, but I still think it's a little counter-intuitive. Plan Footprint let's you just drag and rotate a single polyline around. 

I actually agree with everything you've stated.  The big difference for me though is that I only ever have to draw things once.  This is especially a major deal if I'm taking time to actually model the site.  Take something as seemingly simple as the driveway.  If I'm using a Plan Footprint CAD Detail, and I move the house on the lot,  even on a perfectly flat lot, I have to do one of 2 things:

• Either draw the road and driveway accurately in the plan (which means I'm still dealing with rotating 3D elements in plan), or...
  • Model the driveway in such a way that it is synced up with the CAD version of my lot perimeter and roadway in my Plan Footprint CAD Detail. This has to be one of the worst things to do in Chief IMO.  

I personally think the trouble's associated with group selecting and rotating things in the plan are a pretty small price to pay.  By the way, this can be sped up astronomically by just locking everything that shouldn't be moved in your Plot/Site Plan View.  Simply Select All and Move/Rotate as desired.