Cad Detail Management List Export

builtright3

• 7 months later...

Wanted to bring this one back up, especially considering canvas' new service. Scan to Chief files work brilliantly but they will not use the end-users template plans. This makes a CAD detail export option crucial to the success of updating a current plan file with templatized standards in CAD.
PLEASE add a CAD export option. So important to us who collaborate.

2 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Rene,   Can you block and copy and paste or send to the library to accomplish what you need ?

Yes but what a PAIN in the butt. Just had to do that for 35 CAD details I use in my template plan. So much wasted time. A simple export all tool and import all would be hugely beneficial. Especially since my details are already sent to my default layout template.

4 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Yes but what a PAIN in the butt. Just had to do that for 35 CAD details I use in my template plan. So much wasted time. A simple export all tool and import all would be hugely beneficial. Especially since my details are already sent to my default layout template.

Yes I get it.   I just recently reported a Cad Detail Copy bug the exists in X12 so maybe if you post a suggestion for export they can include that while overhauling the other.

They suggested that I could block my cad details and put them into the library and then when I took them back out again I would have a copy rather than using the dedicated copy tool that is broken. ;)

18 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

They suggested that I could block my cad details and put them into the library and then when I took them back out again I would have a copy rather than using the dedicated copy tool that is broken. ;)

You can completely skip the library by just blocking your CAD before creating the copy.  

1 minute ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You can completely skip the library by just blocking your CAD before creating the copy.

Yes I told tech support that but they still insisted I put it in the Library first.  The other issue is that cad blocking can occasionally cause corruption of the cad detail so I really hope they fix the copy issue.

1 hour ago, Renerabbitt said:

I would think the solution is to not have any CAD Details (other than those generated from the plan itself) in the Template File. Keep those details in a separate Plan file called Rene's Detail Warehouse.PLAN, which can be prelinked to your layout and put in your project folder if you want to keep it separate from an office detail library plan.

8 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

I would think the solution is to not have any CAD Details (other than those generated from the plan itself) in the Template File. Keep those details in a separate Plan file called Rene's Detail Warehouse.PLAN, which can be prelinked to your layout and put in your project folder if you want to keep it separate from an office detail library plan.

That would be a big adjustment to my workflow. My system works really well for my own projects but not so much for collaborative. Furthermore trying to incorporate a detail warehouse plan into collaborative work just starts feeling a bit sloppy. Many of my details and schedules are parsing info from the job itself.  My details carry macros from a job information macro that changes for every job and some of the details pull info from architectural components. A warehouse plan is just a disjointed and sloppy solution for something that should be built in IMO. I could make it work, but would definitely lose time trying to download the many work-arounds to collaborators. To be clear, I have a ton of systems in place that automate my process, and they are built around CAD details with macros, and they can get very very complicated...and with an adapting market out there that my own business model is setup to take advantage of, I am constantly doing fill work for production needs for various companies around the world. This piece of the software just needs to catch up, it makes too much sense...even the newest methodology in videos from Chief utilizes CAD details for plan organization, storing schedules in CAD, making the Project Browser a center-stage tool.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

I was imagining a workflow like Edward's here: https://youtu.be/5HbsgUNQHAY . But hey, if that doesn't work for you, it doesn't work.

Yeah I am aware of the warehouse SAM method, certainly plenty of users still using that system, and it certainly works. For what I do in m own workflow, I can't imagine a faster system, different from the warehouse SAM.
All of my legends, such as electrical and wall legends, all of my schedules including panel schedules, all of my keynotes, scales, standards, and many of my details that parse info from components in plan, live in CAD details. My project Browser is extremely well organized and I have different plan templates for different types of jobs, with coinciding macros for the type of project it is, slab on grade for instance. Those CAD details are already sent to a layout and I simply change the reference file at the start of a new project. 
For instance, CAD detail "typical foundation" will be a SOG in the SOG template vs a stem wall detail in Platform Template. Since the CAD is named the same, changing the reference file simply changes that detail..works flawlessly and is lightning fast and very dynamic.